Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since i bought my car with 36K on it its always been boggy down low and i never hear a difference in anything after 5000 rpms. Should i hear the engine change sound at 5000? Is my DSI clip broke?

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
The best way to tell is by removing your battery cover and looking with a flashlight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I believe in 02 Ford set it to switch at 6K rpms....yes I know...the 02's got the SHAFT!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
^^ I'm fairly sure the TSB tune (YRF0, or was it YFR0? Regardless) changed the DSI point to 5k, and that RLA1 and FLA6 were 6k, but I could be mistaken.

On my car the changover is hardly noticable unless I'm under heavy throttle. I also notice it more when its cold out. Both of these probably have to do with the intake noise I get from my SRI being louder or quieter relative to my exhaust.

The clip is pretty easy to check, its almost directly under the throttle body, a bit towards the front of the car from dead under as I recall. I had to take my SRI's tubing off the TB to find what I was looking for, but now that I know I could probably see if without doing so, or check by feel. I havent seen mine broken (yet), but apparently its pretty obvious. A couple inches of cable flopping around and a sheared off plastic stub thing.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
^^ yeah you can hear it, but mostly under heavy throttle. Go out on a road and lay into it...run it up high rpms and listen for a slight change in tone on the intake.

SVTthis - I agree with Hillyard, just grab the flashlight and take a peek. You will know if its not connected, the wire will just be hanging there.

If you need to replace it, c-f-m has an aluminum one. Replace it and be done with it:
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1104

oh, and since you are still relatively new here [welcome]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Any way he could have a prob with the VVT system , i know with my DSI disco'd right now , at about 5k i still get one hell of a boost when the valve timing changes.

·
Registered
351 Posts
hey nickouellettesvt, have the dealer run you an OASIS report and the warranty information on your car. Just need to give them the VIN#. There's also a few guys on here that can do it, as they are service techs. That'll tell you the history of your car, and what was done when it was taken in. Of course, this will only show you if the YRF0 flash was done, not an aftermarket. Maybe Turbo Tom can help you out with that.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
terrasmak said:
Any way he could have a prob with the VVT system , i know with my DSI disco'd right now ,
at about 5k i still get one hell of a boost when the valve timing changes.
^^^That has nothing to do with valve timing.
With the DSI disconnected, you've defaulted to utilizing the short runners at all times.
The short runners are not efficient nor mathced to the engine at lower rpms.
When you hit 5K now, that's when the short runners start working well.
That's why you feel the boost, because you're losing power in the lower end, but have the same power up top.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The boost in power is far from "one hell of a boost" in my opinion...

And like WD said, the VVT has nothing to do with the DSI-
VVT- Variable Valve Timing
DSI- Dual Stage Intake

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Your VCT works from idle to redline..... if your feeling a boost then your DSI is hooked up

·
Registered
190 Posts
03OrangeSVT said:
Your VCT works from idle to redline..... if your feeling a boost then your DSI is hooked up
Not really , i can feel one nice spike in power at around 5k , and i know my clip is broken , and few days ago i unplugged the DSI motor .

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That's just because the RPm is meeting the effeciency of the short runners. Do you have a tune? If not the spike will only be that much more prevelant.

·
Registered
505 Posts
SVT_CLARITY said:
hey nickouellettesvt, have the dealer run you an OASIS report and the warranty information on your car. Just need to give them the VIN#. There's also a few guys on here that can do it, as they are service techs. That'll tell you the history of your car, and what was done when it was taken in. Of course, this will only show you if the YRF0 flash was done, not an aftermarket. Maybe Turbo Tom can help you out with that.
Thanks for the info, I am gonna do that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts