Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my DSI does not move when the car is started but moves at high revs....what does this mean...Ive read alot of threads...just trying to figure out what my problem is....my car is throwing the code p1518 "something about the DSI being stuck open"......anything would help thanks[thumb]

·
Registered
268 Posts
Maybe the pigtail is going bad. How do you know it moves at high revs? If it is stuck open, then your IM is at short runner position. This is why you probably think it moves but it doesn't. Your SVT still pulls at high RPM because the butterfly inside the IM is positioned for the short runners.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You probably need the DSI module. Mine had the same code and the motor just wears out over time.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would this also cause the code p0171-system to lean???? cause I have that code..and my car has recently been showing signs of smoke when I get on it and someone has really bright lights I can see a hint of white smoke...Im really nervous about it...I had the the code 1131 also...I changed the front o2 and the TPS and it dosent stall anymore and the idle is back to normal....I need to scan it and see if any of my codes have been erased with the o2 or TPS...but my DSI clip will move when I rev up the exhaust standing right in front of my car and looking at it....but dosent move at start up.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Well first thing first just give me your car I'll deal with the problems you can have my car? White smoke is not a good thing that could mean bad head gasket. BUt if your car is stuck in the short runners all the time and the car is not tuned that way then I guess it could make it go lean also? You my friend sounds like you have a problem. good luck I hope it gets fixed cheaply (has in did'nt cost alot to fix not cheaply that it was a crappy repair)

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my car is maintained like crazy...so im hoping its from the code im throwing or the fact that I have a ORP.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I believe you will get a bit of smoke with the ORP at full throttle. My '02 with the ORP on it blew a bit of smoke when I did my exhaust clips on the camera, and it only had like 42k miles at the time, and is still running strong. I've even heard reports of ORP cars shooting blue flames when shifting at high RPMS at night

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
^^Not sure I've ever seen that. Maybe in a rotary Focus, but not ours.

IIRC the motor engages when the key is turned on. So if you start the car then go out to see if the motor moved you might be fooling yourself. When you turn the key you should here kinda of a thud from the intake switching to the long runners, but it may be pretty quite, use a friend to make sure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
would this also cause the code p0171-system to lean???? cause I have that code..and my car has recently been showing signs of smoke when I get on it and someone has really bright lights I can see a hint of white smoke...Im really nervous about it...I had the the code 1131 also...I changed the front o2 and the TPS and it dosent stall anymore and the idle is back to normal....I need to scan it and see if any of my codes have been erased with the o2 or TPS...but my DSI clip will move when I rev up the exhaust standing right in front of my car and looking at it....but dosent move at start up.
Do you have a MAFia installed in the car? Mine isn't SVT but I had that code p0171 after setting the MAFia to 1. Try cleaning your MAF sensor and reset the ECU by unplugging the - of your battery. Did the smoke only appear after p0171 code showed up? How many miles on your car? As far as DSI problem, I have no idea because it is weird for it to move during high rpm.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

IIRC the motor engages when the key is turned on. So if you start the car then go out to see if the motor moved you might be fooling yourself. When you turn the key you should here kinda of a thud from the intake switching to the long runners, but it may be pretty quite, use a friend to make sure.
I did this with my brother...he started the car as I watched the DSI wire not move at all...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post

I did this with my brother...he started the car as I watched the DSI wire not move at all...
I think the culprit here is the Dual Stage Intake module or pigtail as they call it. The motor for the module or pigtail is possibly burnt out. The butterfly of the DSI probably moved a little as in tiny movement when you started the car and when you rev the car to 5k plus rpm it moves by letting go of the butterfly inside the Dual Stage Intake Manifold (this is probably the movement you are noticing). Or possibly the spring mechanism for the butterfly is getting stuck(very doubtful though because them springs have very strong tension) I know this because I have a SVT IM laying in the garage waiting to be installed.

Does the car feel like it lost a lot of torque at low RPMS but feels strong at high RPM? If yes, then the I am sure the culprit is the DSI module or pigtail as others call it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
^^^when you say DSI what do u mean?? the clip?? module? and pigtail what is this?
I got my self confuse sorry. When I said DSI, I was referring to the pigtail.

The problem with your car is the pigtail (motor or module that pulls the butterfly inside your Intake Manifold or Dual Stage Intake).

·
Registered
268 Posts
my DSI does not move when the car is started but moves at high revs....what does this mean...Ive read alot of threads...just trying to figure out what my problem is....my car is throwing the code p1518 "something about the DSI being stuck open"......anything would help thanks[thumb]
I think this where I got confuse... The Dual Stage Intake or DSI, does not move at all, but instead it is a butterfly flap that moves inside the DSI. You get it or still confuse??? Let me know.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post

I think the culprit here is the Dual Stage Intake module or pigtail as they call it. The motor for the module or pigtail is possibly burnt out. The butterfly of the DSI probably moved a little as in tiny movement when you started the car and when you rev the car to 5k plus rpm it moves by letting go of the butterfly inside the Dual Stage Intake Manifold (this is probably the movement you are noticing). Or possibly the spring mechanism for the butterfly is getting stuck(very doubtful though because them springs have very strong tension) I know this because I have a SVT IM laying in the garage waiting to be installed.

Does the car feel like it lost a lot of torque at low RPMS but feels strong at high RPM? If yes, then the I am sure the culprit is the DSI module or pigtail as others call it.
I think we should all agree to use the term DSIM for dual stage intake manifold and DSIP for dual stage intake pigtail. So, no confusion to happen again.

[cheers]
Brian

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I think this where I got confuse... The Dual Stage Intake or DSI, does not move at all, but instead it is a butterfly flap that moves inside the DSI. You get it or still confuse??? Let me know.
Seems you're confused also so here is a little picture of the operation for you guys:

As you can see there is in fact no "butterfly flap". It is actually a whole nother intake runner that the DSI motor has to move.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Now, it is clear. Thanks John. Dirt brown, the pigtail is DSI motor or module. It is not in the photo btw. Pigtail (Intake Manifold Runner Controller IMRC or motor or module) is found behind your driver's headlight. That is what giving you the trouble.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts