Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have always wondered from a engineering standpoint, how and if any, filtration of intake air is achieved >6000 RPM's on the SVT DSI setup. Considering it's common use in off road events where dust and dirt are being stirred up when the DSI activates, from my rudimentary understanding of the system the air intake filter is effectively bypassed, allowing this dirty air to enter the engine and begin decomposition of the rings/cylinder walls. Engineering oversight? Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
look for design diagrams of the DSI manifold. only filtered air goes in the engine. the portion of the runners that pivot are encased inside the manifold, it doesn't open the manifold to atmosphere

·
Registered
152 Posts
...yea', it sounds like you don't have anything to worry about', unless you took out your airbox, or removed the filter (which I'm sure you won't do)--I'm just saying'. But, if there is anything to worry about, please let all us know...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crazymechanic said:
look for design diagrams of the DSI manifold. only filtered air goes in the engine. the portion of the runners that pivot are encased inside the manifold, it doesn't open the manifold to atmosphere
Thanks for the enlightenment. I developed this thought based upon the drawings of the DSI system at this web site http://www.myfordfocus.com/svt/ (tried to post picture in concern, but file size as too large) Interpreting this drawing as a laymen, it looks as though when the runners are placed in the "short" position the air is drawn from ambient. Thanks man!

·
Registered
351 Posts
when i first looked at that learmech, i had the exact same thought. I'm new to the dual stage intake manifold, so I was a little awestruck. A friend of mine broke it down for me.

So, +1 for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts