Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've heard the European spec Foci with the wet clutch can handle more torque. Does anyone know how much exactly? Also, is there any difference in shift speed between the two?

*edit* I'm talking about the dual clutch transmissions

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
typically wet clutches hold less because the lubrication reduces friction, unless they stacked a bunch of discs.

shift speed is controlled by your foot/hand/synchros. a clutch will engage/disengage as fast as you tell it to. (unless worn or overpowered then it slips)

my guess on a stock oem clutch they will make it to handle 50%-75% more torque then the engine outputs. any major modifications ie. forced induction will probably require a clutch upgrade among other things.

·
Registered
73 Posts
typically wet clutches hold less because the lubrication reduces friction, unless they stacked a bunch of discs.

shift speed is controlled by your foot/hand/synchros. a clutch will engage/disengage as fast as you tell it to. (unless worn or overpowered then it slips)

my guess on a stock oem clutch they will make it to handle 50%-75% more torque then the engine outputs. any major modifications ie. forced induction will probably require a clutch upgrade among other things.
wow I had no idea there was this much stuff going on with a clutch....so usa cars are dry clutches? meaning we control all that good stuff you just mentioned? sooo whats the benefit of the wet clutch?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I should have been more specific i guess, but I was referring to the dual clutch transmissions (Ford's "Powershift"), not manuals. The Euro Foci get the wet clutch with the diesel model. I'm not sure about their petrol model though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts