Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been roughly two months since my little fiasco with the rear brakes, and now they're starting again. Just in case you missed it, I got new shoes on both sides, and a new spring kit in the driver's side drum. I'll hear a slight scape from time to time, and I can pull my e-brake up all the way with no problem. What the hell is with my brakes? Was their some kind of brake recall that I don't know about? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PDQEagle said:
what is your problem????
WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM? LOL...My drum brakes feel like they're wearing out A LOT faster than they should be, and I can hear some moderate scraping coming from the drum. I guess I should have worded that^^^ differently.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Well, first, check and see if in fact thay are wearing. If they are wearing that fast, you probably have a master cylinder problem. Did these wear out all of a sudden the first time or were they just shot and now youre hearing a noise from the rear after they have been replaced? If so, on the second statement, you may want to make sure that they were installed properly the last time. Oh yeah, to answer the question of was there a recall. No, no recall but there is a TSB.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I first started having problems with the brakes it was a little over a year ago. At first they made a slight scaraping noise, and I thought nothing of it. It stopped after awhile and then I completely forgot about it. A few months later, the scraping came back and gets progressively worse within a short time, and now whenever I hit the brake pedal a horrible grinding comes from the driver's side drum. A week or two goes by and the e-brake becomes useless. At the same time, I can slam on the brakes going about 45 mph, the wheels won't lock up, and it takes a rediculously long time to slow down. When the scraping came back for the second time, all this started happening very suddenly; I went from perfectly functioning brakes to crap. I take it to the mechanic, and he says that several componets in the driver's side drum have melted from heat. He replaces shoes on both sides and a new spring kit in the damaged drum. This was about two months ago, and now it looks like it's happening again. Currently, I can pull the e-brake all the way up on a slight incline, and the car will still roll backwards. Also, the brake pedal does'nt feel as firm as it did two months ago (this doesn't seem normal). I go pretty easy on my brakes, so it's not my driving.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you checked or did the mechanic check the bearings in the rear drums???
I had this problem long ago..... actually I think almost everyone with rear drums has had this problem at one time or another......
Ford even redesigned the bearings........

I was thinking the same thing when I heard the noises from the rear.....
I thought to myself WTF, why is my rear wearing faster than the fronts?

Also, when the mechanic replaced the brakes did he lube the points that the shoes make contact???
Like this:
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=48

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
focus00zetec said:
Have you checked or did the mechanic check the bearings in the rear drums???
I had this problem long ago..... actually I think almost everyone with rear drums has had this problem at one time or another......
Ford even redesigned the bearings........

I was thinking the same thing when I heard the noises from the rear.....
I thought to myself WTF, why is my rear wearing faster than the fronts?

Also, when the mechanic replaced the brakes did he lube the points that the shoes make contact???
Like this:
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=48
Yeah, he told me he replaced the bearings. I don't know about the lube, but I seriously doubt it. I'll have to do that Focus Hacks thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
since he told you he replaced the bearings did he check out the spindles??
I'm not bashing or degrading your mechanic in any way, just making sure.....
I had both of my rears go out before doing the disc conversion, so I know how you feel about the rear drum setup...........

Also, I would check on the bearings. For example where did he get the new bearings?
Some places, and I know this sounds stupid, still sell the old style bearing or the old drum assembly with the older bearings.

Also, when I inspected my drums, I noticed that the inner race had damaged the spindle slightly, causing premature wear on the new bearings.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
wheel bearing problemsand brake problems are not the same. i think your mechanic just got an up sell. if you melted brake hardware, you have issues. did you replce the drums with the shoes? or did you turn the drums? you may just need drum adjustment. with the wheel in the air(on a jack) spin it. if it spins freely without stoping after 2 or 3 spin, then it needs adjustment. i dont think focus brakes are automatically adjusting. if there is a rubber plug on the drum or the backing plate, then pull the plug and look for a star wheel. spin the star wheel with a screwdriver. it will expand the shoes into the drum. the shoe will make light contact noise as it hits the drums. do you see any fluid leaking in the drum... that would probably be a wheel cylinder that can leak enough fluid to cause heat and then burn the brake fluid. melting shoes and such.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
my rear drums are going too, im starting to hear them squeak and crunch

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DrkKnight614 said:
my rear drums are going too, im starting to hear them squeak and crunch
It's a terribly pleasing sound...isn't it? [?|]

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
how much does it cost to have my drums fixed, not sure if its just the pads inside or what, actually im not entirely sure how drums work, i know theres pads and springs inside. If im hearing squeaks and crunchs what will i most likly have to replace and how much will it be?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
yeah mine does that too...but on my passenger side

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
i got 15k when my rear right bearing went bad. 16733 miles and the dealer replaced the right rear drum, and machine the other changed the shoes on both side, and machine the front rotors and put new shoes. I paid for the bearing since I did not have time to wait for the dealer... only to find out they would give me a rental... but still, my rear sqeak seems to come back after 4 days of getting the car back... very upset...

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
if the drums are making that noise more than likly they are warpped. Mine did the same thing I took it to a brake shop they keep resurfacing them dso I just went and bought new ones had the bearsing pressed in and will soon have them on expect I have to wait for the money to have them put on ( I would do it my self but drums are my worst enemy can't stand em') I bet thats whats make the squish/ sqeak noise. Also it gives you a good chance to paint them since they won't be alll rusted yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts