Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[???:)] 2009 Zetec 1.6: The car runs perfectly...... except, when someone opens a rear window, I am extremely conscious of a fast rythmic drumming sound occuring. Has anyone else this experience? Does anyone know why?? Fix???

·
Registered
96 Posts
Matt....,
I know exactly what you are talking about.
And, the faster you go, the worse it is.
I used to do that in our 96 Taurus and it was great;
running with both rear windows open or open slightly.
I tried it in our 2009 and nope, too much buffetting.
I've been told that if you want to do that, try putting
the front windows down also but only slightly.
Give it a try and let us know.

2009SEL

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Yeah, that's just the wind getting caught inside the car and buffeting your eardrums as pressure builds up to overcome the inrushing air from the window. I have a sunroof, and I can open that in order to prevent the wind buffeting me, but you might have to open the front windows to get the same effect. My old RX7 did the same thing. When you got over a certain speed, the wind would overcome the spring on the sunroof wind deflector and we'd nearly bust our eardrums out if the windows were up.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
First time I opened a rear window at speed i was stunned by the huge noise.
Solution: keep the rear windows closed over 40mph.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
As whynotthinkwhynot said, it's wind buffeting. When one or both of the rear windows are open, it may demonstrate a wind throb or buffeting noise that can be alleviated by lowering a front window approximately 2–3 inches.

Hope that helps! [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
They sell weather strips that you can stick over the windows and it creats a more quiet ride when you crack the windows.

My last car had a sunroof and if i took it out it would do that around 30-40 mph. It freaked people out sometimes thinking my car was about to blow up or crash or something. People that didnt know what was happening or why.

I understand why it does it, some cars are worse then others with it too.

Would be cool to have a wind tunnel and play around with things like this.

·
Registered
382 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts