Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh, so I'm an idiot and was driving around with my CAI after a rainstorm and didn't see a puddle. After I got through I stalled and drifted over to the right. Its happened to me once before and so I waited like 10min and started the car. Took a second and a big cloud of steam rolled out the back and it started right up. Drove it for a while then and afterwards with no problems whatsoever.

Jump to today:
4 days later, after driving the car a fair distance following the puddle. Im driving around and i notice my accelerator seems to almost stick after I take my foot off the gas. I'll take my foot off the gas and the engine will still rev up. I'll knock it into 5th gear and it'll slow down, back into neutral and it'll slowly rev up again. No other issues that i've seen/heard (sounds, poor acc, etc).

My friend's first impression was that perhaps its a linkage problem? Got some water/rust going in the cabling? I checked the oil and it doesnt look like its either a) very high or b) watery as I've seen mentioned in hydrolocking posts on here.

Anyone got any ideas? Should I just take it to a repair center and take the grief they give me about having the CAI? (dont know where I put the stock intake)

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
dont know where you put it? or you dont know where the trash guys threw it? lol j/k man. i would take off the upper part of the CAI and take a look at the butterfly of your throttle body. make sure there isnt any **** in there. make sure the spring isnt rusted up, there shouldnt be any play in the throttle bracket at all. next step is to look into replacing the throttle positioning sensor. past that man, i am no help

·
Registered
489 Posts
Im with Scrammer. Clean the throttle body really well with some Carb. Cleaner because the little bit of water that may have gotten that far might have gooped up some of the dirt and junk that builds up around the perimeter of the butterfly valve..

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
^^ ditto. also being out there, you are also prone to rusting. think it would just be good measure to clean the TB...while you are in there you will probably want to clean the MAF as well.

·
Bexar County
3,360 Posts
CAI is bout teh worst thing to have with weather we are having right now.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
no, as long as your intake/filter suck from the engine bay and not behind the radiator/frontfender/fog light area, its all good. Thats why volant/pipercross are some of the best intakes for foci.

·
Registered
15 Posts
but you cant have a bypass valve with a supercharger can you?

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Some people may say no, that you can't get a bypass valve with a super charger and yet i know at least 3 guys that have a cold air intake with a bypass valve on a Jackson Racing Super Charger. They claim thay have no problems with the induction. I've heard around that you can't use a cold air intake with a bypass valve on a Sc, cause it struggles with getting air... honestly, i bet we really wouln't know untill we've tried it ourselves. I say, it will work on it, also might hel it, since it's cool air that it's getting.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You sucked water into your Throttle Posistion Sensor. This has happened to me a few times when driving with the CAI on and the foglamp removed for better airflow, if I hit a rainstorm, I get water into the TPS and it shorts out.

Order a new TPS sensor from your local auto parts place, it's two torx screws to replace, and you are all set. No need to panic

1 - 19 of 19 Posts