Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to get the ebach pro kit but they are only springs. I head from a friend that if u put on springs without new shocks that u will bust the stock shocks. Is this true? i'v noticed that everyone just uses springs and not shocks

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
WRONG !!!

there is a eibach kit that comes with springs and dampers....cost over 600 thou...

search arround...

Joel

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I have seen in many places the kit that comes with dampers....
including newedge, macnews and myfordperformance....

i'v noticed that everyone just uses springs and not shocks
i was saying wrong to this part...
most of the people that i know with suspension go with damper + spring combo....

Joel

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Eibach's Pro kit (springs only) is designed for oem shocks/dampers setup, it will work, but you will eventually over time, maybe a year or so, have worn out dampers/shocks. You don't *need* new dampers if you drop less than 1.5 inches, but it's reccamended to keep the correct dampening rates with the new height. As said, eibach makes a pro kit with 1.5 drop springs, and new shocks/struts, and there's an even better kit that includes a new sway bar.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Pro System = springs + dampners. Oem shocks are not designed for drop springs. Eibach dampners are designed for drop springs. I totally understand the cost issue. If you are installing yourself, you will only be wasting an alignment cost with just springs. If you are having a a shop do it, you will be doubling the install costs (springs now, dampners later).
The springs will make some difference in handling, but not as much as with the new dampners anyway. I would do everything at once and save the difference for another mod. Shop around and get some quotes for the Pro System. Add to your list Jason at namotorsports.net . He did a group buy last winter on Eibach.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is why i don't do exterior stuff. $600 for a drop shit the things i can do to make my car faster for $600. This is another reason i'm all go and no show. thanks the the feedback everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I can't say I blame you. If you were doing this just for show...then yeah that's alot of bucks...if you were doing it for the handling...then atleast you have something to enjoy...besides looking at. It's always a tug of war for mod dollars. After a while it gets damn near impossible to pull the trigger on show stuff...at least for me anyway.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i mean i still have a ways to go. I'm finishing off my exhaust soon then i'm saving up all next summer and will probably get a JRSC. Anything thats for show just doesn't fit well with my plans i only have so much $$$ and all of it needs to go to performance.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
OK, shameless plug, but you can get EVERYTHING much cheaper if you're willing to try other companies. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I have to mention (again) that you can get a whole drop kit (springs, shocks, and struts) for $349 SHIPPED through FK automotive! Their stuff is TUV approved (German equiv. to our DOT, but much more stringent), and comes with a lifetime warranty. They have one kit that'll drop about 1.4" (35/40mm kit) and one that'll drop it about 2" (50/60 kit). Or, if you want to be really slick, they have a coil-over kit (a real one, not that ebay crap) for $749 shipped. The deal is being offered by www.clubfocus.org. Check out their group buy area for the contact info. Or you can just go to www.zx3tuning.com and ask for the clubfocus rate. you don't even have to be a member! just tell them you saw the deal there!

i haven't put mine on yet, but i'll let you know what i think after i get it on this weekend. other people have tried these kits and REALLY liked them. spring rates are progressive, which means it offers a good ride without being too soft.

shipping was fast, too. these guys had the stuff to me in 2 days UPS expedited shipping! (and they're in Canada nonetheless).

Anywho, just thought I'd spread the word on where to get some good stuff cheap.

Mike

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, I definately suggest checking out the FK Automotive suspension kit. I got the 30-40mm drop and its awesome. I wish the rear was just a tad lower but oh well. The ride is quality and feels OEM until you take a turn at 80 with not a whole lot of body roll. Install was pretty straightforward. I have everything on except the rear dampeners. I havent felt like taking apart my trunk to get to them.

Before

After

·
Registered
511 Posts
Disturbed, how much of a drop did you get?

·
Registered
476 Posts
They claim that its only like an inch and a half, but the front is definately lower than that. I have about a 1 inch gap now in the front and probably about 2 inches in the rear. I'd say its between 1.5-2 inches of a drop.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Disturbed, I'm salivating at your pics, man. I can't wait to get that stuff on there this Friday! The only thing that might hold me up is waiting for the camber bolts to show up. I ordered them from McNews about a week ago, but he told me they probably won't be here til Friday and that Isabel might have pushed the delivery date back farther than that.[mad] Oh well. As long as they're here in time to take my car in for an alignment early Monday morning, I should be OK. How long did the install take you? Any tips?

Mike

PS- sorry to jack the thread, Solaris!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. After the install you can tell there is a bit of a camber issue but nothing to serious. I'll probably get a camber kit down the road sometime. I keep putting off an alignment and I'm starting to regret it. The outside edges of my tires are starting to show some wear already and I have only gone about 1500 miles since the install.

The install itself took me about 3.5 hours. That was going into it completely blind. I think if I were to do it again I could easily have it done in 2. I still have yet to put in the rear dampeners cause I'm to lazy to take apart the trunk. It's going to be a pain in the ass because I have the stock sub box on the side from the Audiophile upgrade. As far as tips go, umm, just take your time. No need to rush and **** it up. Airtools help a lot. It can be done with regular hand tools, but it makes it a lot harder. You'll need a spring compressor for the fronts. You can rent one at a local autoparts store or take the whole assembly with the new shock/spring to Pep Boys and have them do it for like 50 bucks. I'm not sure what year your Focus is, but mine only had 2500 miles on it when i did the install so I didnt have to worry about bolts sticking. If you have this issue where they stick, soak them in some kind of WD-40 type stuff. Last thing you wanna do is strip or snap a bolt in your suspension.

El - I got it straight from FK's american building in California. I called and said I saw a deal on ClubFocus and wanted to order. They said ok.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts