Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I've got a 2005 Ford Focus, and today after filing up my tank, I noticed that when I turned on the car it had not filled up all the way like it usually does. Also, while driving home (about 1 mile away), the fuel level on the meter dropped from right below full to 3/4 full. I checked for a fuel puddle and any strange smells, but didn't find any (I left the car on for 10 mins). The only thing I found was a puddle of odorless, colorless liquid under the passenger seat side, which I assume is water from the A/C.

I searched around and couldn't really find anyone with my same problem, and this being Labor Day weekend it's going to be hard getting it fixed in time for plans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
409 Posts
my 06 does the same.. I fill it till it pops and call it good.. get in the car and 3 min later it its well on its way to 3/4 of a tank.. I dont know if its a crapy design for the guage or what.. BUT, I now stick to pumping more gas in.. hehe.. once it pops i put in a few more gallons.. who would have known that you can put in 12 gallons and have gas already in the tank.. LOL..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? It's never done that in the 3-4 years since I've had it, but I couldn't find a leak or anything

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
I have the same issue :) been that way since I got it... :-\

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
There's no rocket science to fuel tank gauges. Well- a little. It is simply an arm with a float on one end. Back in the old days, the floats were little sealed metal boxes. Those could leak, and show nothing. Nowadays, the float is a piece of solid plastic that floats in gasoline. That's all the rocket science there is.

I had something similar happen to me once. I re-flashed my PCM while filling up the tank. When I got back in the car, it hung around 1/2 tank, even though I'd filled it. I thought I'd ruined it. I pulled the negative battery terminal, and reset the PCM when I was home. That solved my problem.

What your problem is- I don't know. It could be a stuck arm, or a bad potentiometer- the electrical device that the float-arm operates.

How to fix: replace the fuel pump assembly for $300 + labor. Not worth it IMO. Try resetting the PCM- I recommend doing this on a warm engine, and after reconnecting (whether it works or not) allow the engine to idle for 6-7 minutes, or until the idle drops down from 1k rpm or so. Normal idle on both AT an MT is around 700. Don't touch the accelerator during this test or the test time resets. You don't want to be running around with an idle around 1k rpm until you sit for 5 minutes idling somewhere in your travels.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'm going to go with a tank vent problem, for the OP and Avie. Having the dealership perform a 'smoke test' or going through and doing all the EVAP test would confirm my suspicion, or squash it.

Could be a sticky gauge. But the gauge has nothing to do with the actually filling the tank. That is all based on pressure and how quickly the tank can relieve that pressure through the EVAP and vent tube.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sending unit? Run some Techron concentrate through it...supposed to help this kind of problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts