Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey

Was wondering if anyone knows how to rewire DRL's to turn on fogs instead of the low beams? I've tried the dealer and they said they have no idea how to do this.

Gero

·
Registered
13 Posts
You would have to know the wiring. If you can find out what wires control drl's I would think you could probably re-route them to the fogs. Unless there is a voltage difference but it should all be 12v. Maybe someone at the dealer can get you the wiring schematics. Hope this helps

·
Registered
283 Posts
That's BS from the dealership. They should know how to do that. I'm pretty sure that your local Canadian Tire could get the wiring diagram and do it for you.
Go to a different dealership and ask the same question, and see what response you get.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey

Was wondering if anyone knows how to rewire DRL's turn on fogs instead of the low beams? I've tried the dealer and they said they have no idea how to do this.

Gero
I doubt this can be solved by wiring. Remember the lights are all controlled by a module that can be re-programmed. I did exactly this with my Jetta. I used the VAG-COM and had to switch a bit in one of the control modules. My DRL's then went from my low beams to my fogs.

If you can find a willing tech at a Ford dealer; maybe they can search the modules and change the coding?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I doubt this can be solved by wiring. Remember the lights are all controlled by a module that can be re-programmed. I did exactly this with my Jetta. I used the VAG-COM and had to switch a bit in one of the control modules. My DRL's then went from my low beams to my fogs.

If you can find a willing tech at a Ford dealer; maybe they can search the modules and change the coding?
Does Ford have an equilvalent of "VAG-COM"? My dad has the CC so I got a friend at a VW dealership to add a bunch of Euro spec features, I don't know if Ford has a specific device that would allow you to make those kind of changes on the fly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Search on net for web electric for their DRL module $39.95 shipped and keeps all functions operational. Next have DRL on headlights disabled by dealer or relay and fuse removal. Fiesta forum has lots of info for 2011 fiesta on this. Finally order replacement high power H-11's LED bulbs to replace regular H-11's as heat of regular bulbs will distort Fog Light housing and the LED's only use 5 watts instead of 55 watts per side. You can also get H-11's LED's in yellow which should make them really visible.

Now that you have done this you could install HID's in low beam without worrying about reduced voltage from factory DRL's.

Hope this helps

Tim

·
Registered
239 Posts
Does Ford have an equilvalent of "VAG-COM"? My dad has the CC so I got a friend at a VW dealership to add a bunch of Euro spec features, I don't know if Ford has a specific device that would allow you to make those kind of changes on the fly.
Ford does not have that kind of programming on their cars. VAG has many platforms and they're all global so it's in their interests to make the programming as generic and universal as possible, thus why you get all these crazy tweaks you can do on VWs, Audis, etc. Ford on the other hand creates cars mostly for continental areas with little flexibility. Though this is going more and more the other way.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Actually, the module just controls if you actually get DRL's or not. As in the US module does not get DRL, and the Canadian one does get DRL.

The matter is just which lights you send that power too. That you should be able to do with wiring, although I'm not really sure to be honest.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Actually, the module just controls if you actually get DRL's or not. As in the US module does not get DRL, and the Canadian one does get DRL.

The matter is just which lights you send that power too. That you should be able to do with wiring, although I'm not really sure to be honest.
Splicing and switching the wiring is the old way of doing things. Our cars computers are advanced enough that they could just send the power there. I'm sure there is a way of doing it. We really need to get some Ford service techs on here...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. My car is only a couple weeks old and I'm too chicken to play with the lighting. My dealer wont do it for me either because they're too chicken to do it also.... Because the vehicle is so new and I live in a city with a total of 8 2012 Focus', they have no experience tampering with the vehicle... They cant even install my remote start! I live in the Yukon btw lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
Splicing and switching the wiring is the old way of doing things. Our cars computers are advanced enough that they could just send the power there. I'm sure there is a way of doing it. We really need to get some Ford service techs on here...
On my Pilot it was one simple switch of wiring to change my DRL's down to my fogs. It may have been the old way, but it was very effective.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is what I'm trying to do at the moment. There is no way for ford to make fog lights as drl's. Had it out with the techies and the head office. Now the only way I can see doing it is buying a drl switch kit (on with ignition then turn off with headlights) and wiring it to the switched live of the relay for the fog lights. Hence it just switching on as if the button was pressed and still have the functionality of the fogs when you need them. But I'm sure the car will recognise something is switched on and throw it up as a fault.

I've also looked into the led bulbs, 64 smd's, they will give out adequate light for a drl but would be utterly useless in foggy conditions. The beam pattern gets screwed up with led fog bulbs.

Now ford uk have said any alteration of electrical components will void warranty.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Banned
12,313 Posts

on my 2000 Cabrio we had before the Focus, I had Vag-Com (just used it to reset the ever returning "secondary Air Injection System Fault") I just ordered the Euro Headlight Switch, got a wiring Diagram and Disconnected the DRL (were in the Low beams "lenses smoked quicker") Had Off, Park, On options, and rewired the tails to the Correct Sequence (from out to in " Stop, Tail, Fog") sooooo much better.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
on my 2000 Cabrio we had before the Focus, I had Vag-Com (just used it to reset the ever returning "secondary Air Injection System Fault") I just ordered the Euro Headlight Switch, got a wiring Diagram and Disconnected the DRL (were in the Low beams "lenses smoked quicker") Had Off, Park, On options, and rewired the tails to the Correct Sequence (from out to in " Stop, Tail, Fog") sooooo much better.
i had my local tuner guy do it for me.. (did it on my zx3 focus too).. Took about an hour or so to install a toggle switch on the dash under the light switch (very discrete) and wire up the whole thing... now fogs come on on start up just like reg. drls.. i can turn them off if i wish w/ the toggle switch.

I had the factory drls turned on when i bought the car but hated that ALL the lights on the car were on ALL the time.. so had them deactivated.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Is there anyway to change the DRL's from the low beam headlights to the amber marker lights in the headlights?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Im not good with electrical things nor auto wiring so i took my car to a local tuner shop i trusted and they did the work for me. My fogs ( which i never use as we dont get fog here but once or twice a year) are now my drls. The tuner guy rigged them so i now have a discrete rocker switch on the dash under the oem light switch so i can still turn the fogs on or off at will. Left in the 'on' position the fogs light up and go out when starting or shutting off the engine. I then had my dealer disable the factory drls.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did this on my 2000 VW Passat and Toyota Yaris to match the Audi DRL config... DRLs are amber parking lights and fogs. No special dash switches were required, no functions were lost and it was all taken care of by wiring in a couple of cheap automotive relays and diodes.

If I had the wiring schematics for the car I could figure it out, but I don't.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
I did this on my 2000 VW Passat and Toyota Yaris to match the Audi DRL config... DRLs are amber parking lights and fogs. No special dash switches were required, no functions were lost and it was all taken care of by wiring in a couple of cheap automotive relays and diodes.

If I had the wiring schematics for the car I could figure it out, but I don't.
On my 2000 VW cabrio, i just got the Euro switch, rewired the taillights to the Euro Config, and eliminated the DRL's with the Euro Switch, you have more options Off, Park, ON.... so much better. and it had provision for rear Fog, which I also wired up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts