Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Focus Fanatics, I'm new to this forum and a new Focus owner. I have a 2005 Focus ZX4. After leaving church today, I forgot that the emergency brake was on, and drove at a stop/start pace for approx. 75 feet. Next, I turned up a VERY steep hill for about five feet before noticing and putting the brake down. My question is: Did I do any damage to the brakes, engine, or transmission of the car? I just got it and I'm paranoid; Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nick

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Short answer: No. You drove a very small distance.
Watch for the light on the dash telling you the handbrake is on.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Your safe

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Steep incline just means more work / heavier load on the engine. If you drove 20+ miles uphill with the handbrake on, you'd overheat the brakes and the engine. You did way less than that.
Quit worrying. Be happy. [wiggle]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You'll be fine. Actually, if you want to be sure the drums are adjusted all the way, you pull the E-brake, and try to move in reverse. Do that a few times, and the E-brake should hold better, but the rear brakes might start squeaking- which is normal. The grease which prevents the squeaking tends to wear off eventually.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
you're fine as mentioned. when I towed the focus 120 miles I realized I had left the parking brake on when I started smelling what a burnt clutch would smell like. but I was following so I couldn't do anything about it. it wore off too eventually. probably took a good amount of friction material off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do Focuses have the E-Brake attached to the rear breaks or are they independent?

Also, I wouldn't be worried if that hill wasn't straight up, I don't want to hammer my engine when I just the car...

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
The e-brake lever moves the brake shoes into engagement with the brake drum by mechanical means (increasing tension on a steel cable).

During normal braking, the brake pedal uses hydraulic pressure (via a slave cylinder) to force the brake shoes into contact with the brake drum.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Do Focuses have the E-Brake attached to the rear breaks or are they independent?

Also, I wouldn't be worried if that hill wasn't straight up, I don't want to hammer my engine when I just the car...
A cable goes from the E-brake handle to a metal bar. That bar connects the to the two cables that go to the rear brakes. All E-brakes are mechanical to my knowledge. Rear disc brakes, for example, have threaded pistons, and must be rotated in when changing discs. The E brake cable connects to the outside of the piston sleeve and rotates forcing the piston out even when there's no fluid.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
80 feet? Not a problem at all......

Matter-o-fact this was how one of Ford's Blue Oval Service Departments remedied the 'squealing rear brakes' on the very early model Focus'. Even though there was a TSB on what to do (something like remove the drum and then turn the drum and remove the glazing from the pads).

Ask me how I know....... I could see the service bay area and the car from the waiting room. It was never worked on and nothing was removed, while under warranty. Then suddenly after a few hours it left the service bay and 5 minutes later it was 'repaired'.

I asked the servicing tech what he did, much to his surprise he responded "You were waiting?" Ah - yea, so what did you do..... his response " I just drove around with the emergency brake on"

So....no it didn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
^ lol
Hope they didn't charge you too much...[:)]

No charge at all...... it was warranty work back then. But what did they charge FMC? Yes - lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts