Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't laugh at what I'm about to ask...but my SVT makes it a first time experience for ever driving a six-speed, and I'd like to know how other SVT owners drive their cars around town...city driving.

The Mini salesman told me when test driving that car that a driver shouldn't even think about shifting into 6th gear until the car is up to about 75 or 80 mph or so. But...that was a Mini Cooper S that is either super or turbo-charged (I think it's the latter but I forget). What I'm wanting to know is how do other SVT owners handle the shifting around town. I've been keeping my around-town shifting to no higher than 5th---even when in the 50 to 60 mph range. Once on the highway, I shift into 6th when I get up to 65 or so. My city driving milage last reading was 18.8 mpg, which seems on the lowish side. What are others experiencing? Could I be doing better?

BumbleBee

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I a am trying to stretch the mpg, I keep the revs between 3k-4k. I will shift into 6th at 50 MPH when I don't have to accelerate, and if I do, down it goes a few gears.

The SVT manual has recommended shift for all the gears points. I think they recommend 6th gear at 60 MPH.

I average about 22 MPG. That is a mix of me being frugal and in the same tank running through the gears shifting at redline. Oh well, I did not get it for the economy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very interesting. Basically, Sudgalvas, I've been keeping the revs between 3 and 4 grand.

I'll have to get out the manual. I didn't know Ford made any recommendations.

Thanks for the advice.

BumbleBee

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think most of the replys you will receive will say they rev to 7k on every shift. Personally, I take it to 3k, cause I am a little more gas consious. As for that salesman telling you to never put it into 6th below 75mph, that sounds like complete bunk.

The only reason I can think of why it wouldn't be advised at lower speeds would be because it would put you below your powerband. I have demonstrated to my g/f a couple of times that you can put it into 6th at 30mph and it will still move, albeit very sluggishly. Funny enough, both cars have the same 6 speed as well.

Ohh, and that 18mpg does seem low, is the car broken in yet?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If im not racing or playing around i usually let it sit at about 3k

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
SVT-n-FX4 said:
I think most of the replys you will receive will say they rev to 7k on every shift.

bull crap man, no one here is that stupid. youll blow your engine in a couple months shifting at 7000 rpms every time. ide shift at around 3500, thats what i do in my car. granted that barely in your power band but hey your not tryin to race. i dont even push my car up to 7000 if i am racing, 5500-5800 is about as far as it goes for me

·
Registered
12 Posts
Let me clarify that remark before I start some kind of flame-fest. I made that statement becuase of a thread I recently read on here where numerous people stated they take it up to about 7000, I am too lazy to search for that thread right now with Bowl preperation and all. I must have misread these statements as an "all the time" thing instead of a once in a while deal / track only. [?|]

edit: a quick search revealed it, sorry for any confusion
shift point

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you look in you manual it will give you all of your suggested shifting points. If I am not mistaken its 55mph into 6th. I just drive my SVT from point A to point B, and I am getting 25.5. I didn't think I was doing well on gas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CD03SVT wrote:

If you look in you manual it will give you all of your suggested shifting points. If I am not mistaken its 55mph into 6th

Until Sudgalvas reminded me, I forgot all about that little manual. It was tucked away under a bunch of other stuff in the zip-up cover. And you're close on the shifting point for 6th -- the manual actually says 60. The Shift Point for 5th is 55, which may account (at least in part) for my low milage 'cause I usually shift into 5th around 50 around town.

I just drive my SVT from point A to point B, and I am getting 25.5. I didn't think I was doing well on gas.

You're doing great on gas, if most of your driving is done on the street. As I recall, the mpg estimate on an SVT was considerably lower than on a standard Focus. When I get some time, I'll log on to the Ford site to check out the latest estimates.

Another reason I may not be not getting good milage is because I'm still several hundred miles below 6,000 on my odometer. The car may not be fully broken in yet.

BumbleBee

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SVT-n-FX4 wrote:

I think most of the replys you will receive will say they rev to 7k on every shift. Personally, I take it to 3k, cause I am a little more gas consious. As for that salesman telling you to never put it into 6th below 75mph, that sounds like complete bunk.

Remember: That wasn't a Ford saleman speaking to the SVT. That was a Mini salesman speaking to the Cooper S -- which is a car in a class all by itself, as far as I'm concerned. As stated previously, I test drove that car, and I'm here to tell ya: It's one fast car -- very fast for its size. And that car is Turbo charged to boot! I venture to say that around town one would never go higher than 4th gear in that baby.

The only reason I can think of why it wouldn't be advised at lower speeds would be because it would put you below your powerband. I have demonstrated to my g/f a couple of times that you can put it into 6th at 30mph and it will still move, albeit very sluggishly. Funny enough, both cars have the same 6 speed as well.

But when you've done that little demo, didn't you hear the motor "laboring"? Most cars will tell you when you're in too high of a gear for the speed you're going.

Ohh, and that 18mpg does seem low, is the car broken in yet?

Possibly not. I still have about 500 or so to go before I reach 6,000.

BumbleBee

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
milage skinny per Ford

CD03SVT wrote:

I just drive my SVT from point A to point B, and I am getting 25.5. I didn't think I was doing well on gas.

Per Ford, the el cheapo LX gets about 27/36 city/highway. Other Foci are rated at 26/33. But the SVT is rated at only 21/28. So...if you're getting 25 mpg, you're dong very, very well. I'd love to take some driving lessons from you -- unless, of course, getting from "point A to point B" is more often than not done on the highway! [;)]

BumbleBee

·
Registered
76 Posts
Zarelli6 said:
bull crap man, no one here is that stupid. youll blow your engine in a couple months shifting at 7000 rpms every time.
If you would blow the engine shifting at 7000, they wouldn't have put the rev limiter at 7200. If the car could only handle 5000, the the rev limiter would be set at 5000. My car sees redline in first and second maybe once a day, just like my bikes. Of course the bikes are usually on one wheel if I'm redlining in 1st and 2nd. Now if you keep it at 7000 for a long period of time, yeah you're going to blow your engine.

Typically, I shift 1st around 5000, 2nd and up around 4000. I like to keep it above 3000 for any decent power. My typical drive to work never sees more then 65, usually 60, and I wouldn't even consider putting it in 6th. If you are between 3000 and 4000, your economy will be ok, although this isn't the most economical little car in the first place.

I have shifted lower, accidently went from 1st to 4th the other day, and was surprised that it still pulled ok. It was one of those instances with this inconsistent clutch, had to pump the clutch to get it to go into gear. Good thing I'm taking it in tomorrow. And no, it's not my driving, it been doing this since I brought home. Thought I would give it until the first service to see if it broke in.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I don't think he literaly meant blow your engine but your sure not doing any good to it Im sure it will wear the engine down faster then if you treated the car nicely just like if you ran 12 pounds of boost on a turbo it wouldn't be as good for your car as running 5

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Hmmmm well I dont get that good of gas mileage in my SVTF, its I'm sure due to my heavy foot, my love of high RPM's, and some of my mods. LOL, true but not a every day thing. [;)]

I do love my SVTF, but when not playing I'm very pratical and shift anywhere between 3500 and 4000 grand and anytime I'm going above 50 I shift into 6th gear. Now I dont know about some of you, but when in stop and slow down traffic I shift at a lower rpm range, this keeps me from winding the engine for longer period before I reach the approx rpm I norm shift at. LOL may just be something that I only do. [;)]

·
Registered
76 Posts
R&DSVTZX5 said:
Now I dont know about some of you, but when in stop and slow down traffic I shift at a lower rpm range, this keeps me from winding the engine for longer period before I reach the approx rpm I norm shift at. LOL may just be something that I only do. [;)]
Nope, your not the only one. I agree with you here. Besides don't need to slam into the back of sombody, and mess up my car, because I want to wind it out.

I am a reasonable person, but because of being raised on motorcycles, I love to go fast.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I usually shift at 3000 3500. Yesterday was the first time I ever reved higher than 5500, I just couln't help but spank some kid in a neon. We were getting on the freeway at the same time, he was behind me and was gettin' all flustered because I wasn;t going fast enough for him. so................. I was in third, and floored it, the neon was left in the dust. He later caught up with me, and was all proud and bad ass when he passed me, I just snickered to myself and let him go.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I normally shift at around 4k and let it sit between 2-3k

but anyway bfocused no offense but it pisses me off when people go slow if were in the fast lane people who do that ethier get a horn or brights

1 - 18 of 18 Posts