Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have A 2014 SE hatchback with the manual trans, and I noticed that under the average fuel economy, it shows three different grading "categories" if you will. Shifting, anticipation, and speed. I understand the shifting one pertains to smooth shifting and properly timed shifts, and I understand that speed pertains to steady speed. But I can not for the life of me figure out what the anticipation "category" pertains to. I assume it would be one the two following things: Anticipation of speed (meaning no drastic changes in speed or rpm, but "smooth sailing"), or perhaps when youre at a stop, and your vehicle is in neutral, the anticipation between the time you put the vehicle into gear and how long it takes before you start accelerating. Am I anywhere close in my assumptions? Any body know the right answer?

·
Registered
251 Posts
My bet is that it's partially related to the time between releasing the gas an applying brakes when coming to a stop. If you anticipate a stop coming up or a stop light about to turn and coast for a while before applying the brakes, you'll get a better score. I can't for the life of me get any shifting leaves, even if I accelerate gradually, smoothly, and shift exactly when it tells me to.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I don't put much faith in the shift suggestions. My experience is that in some situations it tells you to shift too soon on an incline and bog the engine. The idiot light is mainly for people who are inexperienced with manual transmissions and need a general hint on when to shift.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you on the shift points being a lil low. And as you said, especially on a hill. I really don't even pay attention to its shift reccomendations, it was just that anticipation one that I can't figure out

·
Registered
23 Posts
From page 189 of the manual.

ECO MODE
This system assists the driver in driving more efficiently by constantly
monitoring characteristics of gear changing, anticipation of traffic
conditions and speeds while driving.
The value of these characteristics is represented by petals shown in the
display, with five petals being the most efficient. The more efficiently you
drive, the better the rating, and the better your overall fuel economy.
Note: These efficiency values do not result in a defined fuel
consumption figure. It might vary as it is not only related to these driving
habits, but also influenced by many other factors such as short trips and
cold starts.
Note: Frequent short trips, where the engine does not fully warm up,
will also increase fuel consumption.
The system is accessed using the information display control. Refer to
the trip computer table in the Information Displays chapter.
Type 1
A. Gear shifting
B. Anticipation
C. Efficient speed
Gear shifting
To improve fuel economy, use the highest gear appropriate for the road
conditions.
Anticipation
Adjust your vehicle speed and the distance to other vehicles to avoid the
need for heavy braking or acceleration to improve fuel economy.
Efficient speed
Reduce your cruising speed on open roads to improve economy. Higher
speeds use more fuel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In the 14+ months I have had my Focus with manual transmission, I have never been able to get more than 3 leaves on Shifting (if that is what you start out with) even if I shift when it tells me to (which is a terrible way to drive). Anticipation I can get all leaves on and the Speed I can do pretty good on but never on Shifting.

Shifting according to the shift light will have you in 4th gear at 30mph. Who can really drive like that?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I always seem to have either full leaves or 1 less leaf on anticipation, shifting I usually have 1 or 0 and on speed the max I've seen is 2.

I shift pretty early most of the time and coast a lot plus avg surface street speed here is 45-50 MPH and 75 MPH on the freeway so that could account for the speed thing *shrug*

I get between 33 and 35 MPG though so I'm not really too concerened about what the leaves are telling me haha

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have full leaves on shifting and speed, and one leaf on anticipation. But thanks for the info about the anticipation portion of it. I looked through my owners manual but failed to find page 189 aparently lol.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I regularly have all five leaves on all flowers.

My understanding of 'anticipation', is shifting BEFORE the shift light comes on. You KNOW when to shift, the light does not have to tell you. that is anticipation.. you already know (anticipate) when to shift better than the car telling you to.

The shifting points are actually slightly high.
And I shift just before them (So the light never comes on)
I am typically into 5th gear at 31mph.
24mph is into 4th gear.
Yes it is true a hill means I typically will dowshift (at 31mph) into 4th to climb any moderate hill. (that is part of driving a manual tranny car.)

I typically get 32mpg in city driving. [sleep]

There is not point to driving with high rpm when cruising. The best is the lowest rpm without bogging you can do. (for mpg.. if you are racing all day, and care less about mpg.. Then yeah keep the engine at/over 3,000rpm or more at all times.. And waste a ton of gas. [race]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just bought my car 2 weeks ago, and I generally average 27mpg city, which is fine by me considering my last vehicle got 14mpg city, although I certainly wouldn't mind more mileage out of it. What octane fuel do you use? I've just been using 87, since thats what the owners manual calls for, but perhaps I could see better mileage out of a higher octane?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Run 91 or 93 if you can get it, it will make your car happy. I get about 2 or 3 MPG better than I did with 87. Most of my driving is on the 405 at 75 MPH though.

EDIT: also coast A LOT, the more you coast the better MPG you get.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have 91 here in nor-cal, so getting that won't be a problem. and we also have a super station that sells anything from 87, all the way up to race fuel (no, I won't be running race fuel lol). However, 99.9% of my driving is city. But I'll try 91 on my next tank and see how it does.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
You know guys that you can disable the idiot shift light right?!?!

Take 15 seconds and call it a day!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh i know this is off the main topic, but is there a way to "permanently disable" the traction control? Ist kind of annoying that I have to turn it off every time I start the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree with Elizabeth. I've had all leaves pretty much all the time once I figured out that the car wants you to be in 5th at 50 km/hour and not expect to be able to accelerate at all quickly. Basically I never see the shift light unless I'm not paying attention at all. Any sort of hard acceleration will penalize you for a quite a while if you don't do any shifting for a long time. It's not fun but I've averaged 29 mpg over the lifetime of my car. I'm pretty sure it would be a lot better if my car had a garage to keep it cozy as winter really kills mileage (~25 mpg for January and February).

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I'm pretty sure it would be a lot better if my car had a garage to keep it cozy as winter really kills mileage (~25 mpg for January and February).
Yeah, One of my huge benefits IS having an indoor heated garage space under the large apt. building. It is never below 60F and usually over 70F in the parking area all Winter.. Even if it is below zero F. So my car is never 'cold' cold start. Just medium. Keeps my average city at 32mpg.
Sinvce I am retired. I never end up leaving my car outside for more than an half-hour or so.. And the engine is still warm enough at that point to still not be a sub-freezing cold start.

Plus I never have to wear a coat to get to my car...No rain, no snow.. just a nice dry warm car.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't put much faith in the shift suggestions. My experience is that in some situations it tells you to shift too soon on an incline and bog the engine. The idiot light is mainly for people who are inexperienced with manual transmissions and need a general hint on when to shift.
I agree with you on the shift points being a lil low. And as you said, especially on a hill. I really don't even pay attention to its shift reccomendations, it was just that anticipation one that I can't figure out
You do know that the up-shift light is variable? The more you use the gas the longer before it turns on. Otherwise, I agree, it turns on to fast.

As for the scores, I max out anticipation and speed all the time. Shifting is normally a zero. I have gotten shifting maxed out before, but it was shifting all the time before the light came on.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Only about 500 mile on my car so far. Second tank I have full leaves on everything but shifting, which has 3. Averaging 34.4 overall 85/15 hi/city. I usually shift about when the lights indicate without using them. Used to the lights from my 06 ZX3. Mainly because the mileage reading is a new thing to me I find myself getting obsessed with it. Actually drove to work today doing 60 in a 65 just to get the mileage over 38!
Once I get it broken in, and the crappy winter gas comes out I'm going to ignore the mileage and have some fun. I hope I can quit obsessing over the mileage. maybe letting my wife drive it will help, she always kills my mileage.
The anticipation is all about saving gas thru drifting to stops in gear and not breaking or accelerating hard. Easy to do and saves wear and tear. Taking turns fast does not seem to effect it. And with my ZX3 still having all original brakes at 88500 miles i must be doing something right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts