Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can pull on the handle and it comes all the way out and stays out.

Im comfortable with taking off the panels and lookin & fixin. Has anyone had this problem, and how do i fix it?

Ive noticed my door handle has been acting a little funny lately with it not going down flush after opening the door, but it was only a minimal thing. it didnt stay out lol

can someone fix the title? I meant driver door wont open....im sure you can tell how stressed i am lol

·
Captain TMI
21,227 Posts
There's the fix. No need to shout- there will be plenty of that later.

Are you able to open the door from either side of the door? If one side won't open, but the other will, then the problem is likely to be the rod that connects to the latch pull itself.

If it won't open from either side- you should start searching local junkyards for a correctly colored replacement panel now. Look at your passenger side to see what you're up against. You'll likely have to remove the driver's seat to get good access to the whole panel and make it easier to work on. That won't be any fun either, but take your time, think about it, and you can get it out without damaging it or anything else. You might have some luck if you're able to remove the trim on the pillar in the rear, but I don't think there's any way to save destroying the front side of the panel.

Once you get the panel off, then you should be able to tell what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If it won't open from either side- you should start searching local junkyards for a correctly colored replacement panel now. Look at your passenger side to see what you're up against. You'll likely have to remove the driver's seat to get good access to the whole panel and make it easier to work on. That won't be any fun either, but take your time, think about it, and you can get it out without damaging it or anything else. You might have some luck if you're able to remove the trim on the pillar in the rear, but I don't think there's any way to save destroying the front side of the panel.
Well then, you can skip all the words after "If it won't open from either side" [poke]

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i was lookin on the inside. it looks like that metal lever that connects to the rod doesnt go back up after the door opens.

like I can push it up and it feels fine opening it, but once I let go, the rod doesnt extend back up.

what can alleviate this?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I haven't been inside a Focus door but assuming all the parts are there (I would be looking for some sort of missing return spring from your description) then lubricate all of the friction areas and see if that helps.

If you can see a hole or hook for a spring with no spring in it, or better yet, look for pieces of it in the inside bottom of the door, just get another to replace it and it should take care of you.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you guys experience this problem, go get some spray white lithium grease.

soak the crap out of the hinge that holds the rod. I even sprayed some on the inside of the door by where the latch is. then play with your door handle over and over

problem solved.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had this happen, would not open from outside but would open on the inside. what I did was I took the door apart from the inside and I looked at the outside door handle from the inside, saw that a plastic piece was missing from the linkage rod. so the rod would not stay in the hole on the opening mechanism. I later found the little plastic piece that goes on the linkage rod at the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have been looking for a fix for when the door won't open from either side. My rear passenger's side door won't open at all and the automatic door lock does not move when all the other doors are locked or unlocked. I guess I am going to have to cut the panel off. I was hoping others had experienced this problem and found a better fix than cutting it off, but looks like I am SOL! [:(]

·
Captain TMI
21,227 Posts
Look at where the screws are on the driver's door Lduran, you'll see what you're up against. Yeah, you're fairly screwed if you can't get it to open from either side. You could try removing the trim around the door pull to see if maybe your rod just came loose from the handle.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have taken off my drivers side door many times and know that there are screws at the bottom and inside of the door, but I can't get to them while the door is closed. Guess I will just keep it a ZX4 for a while until I get the guts to cut it out!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
try popping off the part that holds the window switch and the door handle part. then remove teh screws taht hold the handle part on. then you should be able to reach in there and move the rod

·
Registered
514 Posts
I may try that tomorrow. It cant hurt! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im having the same problem buyt it opens from the outside and andwhen I go to open it from the inside I have to pull the lever 3 or 4 times and it opens and I took the panel off and eveything seems right..... pm me and help please

·
Registered
420 Posts
shifty situation

wow I am not surprised to see that I am not the only one with this issue. Over the years my focus has started to disappoint me. I have replaced the mechanism twice now and am going to have to do so again I am currently leaving my rear passenger door unlocked to enter my vehicle I have to reach in to the front passenger door and pop the door open since my pass. Door only opens from the inside and my drivers side door does not open from either in or out. I have contemplated ripping off the door panel but for what I will only have to replace that as well. This situation really sucks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This past weekend, the door lock started working again, but this time, it makes a loud screetching noise when it locks. It sounds like the mechanism is going to die soon. I took the door panel off and sprayed the hell out of it, but the sound continues. Does anyone have a part number for the mechanism? I assume this will be a dealer only part.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
I got a ton of those Door latch's if you need one

1 - 20 of 21 Posts