Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 ZX4 SES
When I opened my drivers door yesterday I heard something snap and I heard it fall inside the door. Now I can only open my drivers door using the inside handle. Any ideas on what broke? Has anyone else had this problem? What is the fix?

Thanks,
Robert

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Within the door, there is a metal actuating rod that goes from the inner door handle mechanism to the lock further down. It works independently of the inner handle. Sounds like the clip that holds the end of the rod has come adrift or snapped. The only way to confirm is to remove the inner door panel and inspect.
I'd replace the inner mechanism as a whole while you're there because the spring mechanism that makes the door handle return flush to the door on the outside usually fails over time too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know if the door handle parts from the driver’s side rear door are the same as the driver’s side front door? I would like to swap out the broken parts in my front door to get it working again. This should buy me some time until I can get a chance to go the junk yard to search for replacement parts.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Dorman carries replacement int and ext handles. May be an option.
Most auto parts have a selection of common handles that break, or they could order you one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts