Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to get off my butt and disassemble the driver door and check wiring. Starting around Thanksgiving my driver window did not always want to go down. It got worse around Christmas but magically fixed itself. Now it will not move at all. A few weeks back I was able to play with it on my commute and get it working after 20 minutes or so of fiddling, no luck now.

As a random aside I did have an issue last week where the radio volume would begin going up and down while fiddling with the driver window button...I really hate electrical gremlins.

Anyone else had a similar issue?
2012 SE Hatch with 76k miles

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Need to get off my butt and disassemble the driver door and check wiring. Starting around Thanksgiving my driver window did not always want to go down. It got worse around Christmas but magically fixed itself. Now it will not move at all. A few weeks back I was able to play with it on my commute and get it working after 20 minutes or so of fiddling, no luck now.

As a random aside I did have an issue last week where the radio volume would begin going up and down while fiddling with the driver window button...I really hate electrical gremlins.

Anyone else had a similar issue?
2012 SE Hatch with 76k miles
Hi lowflyn,

I just replied to your thread about the clutch. I want to check into this as well. Please send me a message with the info requested, and I'll take a look. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the problem is in the motor, and not the rails, you should be able to just clip the cables and the window will slide freely. It'll make pulling the old regulator assembly out a little easier, too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmm.. didnt' think about clipping the wires.

I wanted to take out the regulator and motor to actually check if it is indeed the motor before I proceed to order one. If it's turns out that it's not the motor, then I'd have broken the regulator wire and will have to order that one as well.
So I don't think that's a good idea but that might be the only way I suppose.

Would there be a for-sure way to check if the motor needs to be replaced? Would that click inside the motor mean that it's bad?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a similar problem. When it is very cold out my drivers side window will not work. After about an hour with the car running and the heat on the window will start working. Is this a motor problem or maybe a relay in the door. I can hear a click when I hit the button it just will not work.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
If the cables have derailed to simply snag up the motor may be fine. On at least the early ones the motors very rarely fail but Ford would not be happy about that. Make 'em cheaper they will.

If you never spray like some silicone spray into the window felt groove then the window may just be sticking. Here in Texas they commonly do that when tree sap gets into the grooves and sticks glass like glue. Leave it long enough and the regulator breaks.

The motors are low torque and intended that way to not crush child's head stuck in the opening. Practically any higher undue load can lug them down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Been having the same issue also. Regulator was changed before I purchased car, worked for a couple of weeks then stopped. Was going to pull panel off to see what's going on. Anyone got any suggestions to check? Window switch? Motor? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never fixed or worked on mine. Just don't worry with anything that requires lowering window

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
So the gremlins are all over this issue. Somehow the window decided to work for a few hours on Friday then stopped. Pulled door panel off, looks like regulator and motor were replaced. Couldn't get window to go down no matter what I did. Searched online about a reset on auto up/ down switches, also tried to disconnect positive terminal on battery, got nothing. Today I tried the reset method on switch and window goes down. WTF! Had my brother talk to a ford mechanic and he seems it's the switch. I hope so, don't feel like leaving my car at dealership I bought car. Would be my 3rd trip back in a month. [rant]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You've also got a control module in the door, to account for the auto up/down features.

That adds to the possibilities, particularly with the intermittent.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Make sure your windows are indexed correctly if you have auto up/down windows.

If a window is not indexed correctly it will either not fully open on the first try, or bounce back after it tries to close (even if you use the switch manually). The second time after hitting the index limit you can fully open or close the window (if you hit the switch again within a specified time period after it stopped the first time).

If your battery was disconnected, you usually need to re-index. If it was done wrong, it leads to all sorts of weird issues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Brought car back to dealership( DCH Honda ) for any other New Jersey people on forum and they were able to get window to work by unplugging regulator motor for a couple of minutes to quote reset it. Worked great for about a week until today after washing car, window wouldn't go down. They told me if it didn't go down they would need to replace regulator again. At this point going to call dealership back and request to take to a Ford dealership to fix on their dime. Still has their 90 day warranty on car. Worth a shot because it's costing me money to go back to this dealership that honestly don't know how to fix this car.[rant]

·
Registered
9 Posts
After trying the silicone lube, which did not help. I decided to venture into the inner part of the door. After some more lube and still not help. I noticed that the motor was getting very hot. It eventually quit working until the motor cooled down. Order a whole new assembly and awaiting its arrival.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After getting the dealership to buy me a new window/door switch it still did not fix issue. 90 day warranty ran out, bit the bullet and took it to my local Ford dealership. Window motor. $420 to replace. Got a two year, unlimited mileage with it. So far it's working. Should after new regulator, switch and motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Put in new window regulator with motor that I purchased through Advance Auto for 165 delivered overnight. works like it actually should.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts