Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I think the problem is the window motor but I want to confirm or find out if there are some troubleshooting steps I can take to confirm before ordering a replacement motor.

Starting about a year ago my driver side front window would not work when it was cold out (below freezing). When it warmed up a bit maybe mid 30's it would work again. Spring and summer came and it was fine. This winter it started again but then completely stopped probably around December.

When I pull the switch up and press the switch both partially and fully (for auto) down, I can hear clicking. Makes me think the switch is fine. Is there a fuse to check for this individual window? Is it definitely the motor?

w/ my magic bag
Remove the door panel & put 12v straight to the motor...

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Is the door panel hard to remove? I have a link to the service manual I am assuming it is covered in there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome thank you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I called up a local Ford dealer for pricing on a replacement motor and they told me I should get the regulator assembly instead of just the motor (WLRA267 instead of WLM267).

1. How do I know if I need the whole assembly instead of just the motor? They quoted the RA at $136 and the M at $66.
2. What does the regulator assembly even do?

Registered
I called up a local Ford dealer for pricing on a replacement motor and they told me I should get the regulator assembly instead of just the motor (WLRA267 instead of WLM267).

1. How do I know if I need the whole assembly instead of just the motor? They quoted the RA at $136 and the M at $66.
2. What does the regulator assembly even do?
WLRA267 -> 40$
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-regulator-asy-window-wlra267

WLM267 -> 40$ - Core = 10$
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-motor-asy-window-operating-wlm267

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, but still, how do I know if I need a regulator assembly?

Registered
I have a 2012 focus and the passenger side window motor failed, window was stuck down. I removed the inner door cover and found that water got into the assembly where the motor attaches to the regulator. I purchased the motor only and replaced the motor on the regulator. My guess is you might have the same issue. A word of caution if you attempt to replace only the motor, the cable used in the regulator to raise/lower the window is wound around a spool and when you remove the motor the cable can unspool. If you are careful you should be able to swap the motor as well.

I don't think anyone can tell you which you need, you'll have to remove the door panel and look into the assembly to try and determine what failed. If you have a multimeter you can measure the voltage at the motor to verify that the switching/control is working. If you measure 12V at the motor and nothing moves then the issue is likely in the regulator/motor.

If you remove the motor and see water/sludge like I did then you can likely just replace the motor.

Good luck

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I guess I was just trying to avoid pulling the door apart without knowing what needed to be replaced but if I need to have the door panel off for a couple days while parts come in I should be fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
UPDATE for those who may Google search this in the future since it was such a PITA for me to find something useful.

Took the door apart on Friday... panel, and sound deadening foam w/ sticky back. Confirmed the motor was receiving 12V. What a pain to pull the regulator assembly out with the window stuck fully raised. Had to pull the weatherstripping and slide a stiff metal ruler down to unlatch the window at the two tabs on the slides. Hooked up 12V to the assembly and nothing. Pulled the motor from the assembly and very little movement. Took the metal cover off and water and junk came out. Cleaned up the core threads and reassembled and the motor seemed to work fine. The regulator itself, the little core with the metal wire windings seemed chewed up a bit. Reassembled the motor onto the assembly and it would only move for about 1/4 second. Verified the slides were able to move by hand. Really can't tell which part is failing or if its a combination of the two.

I could not find the part number my local Ford dealership gave me anywhere that matched my vehicle. They gave me WLRA-267 but it looks like I need WLRA-167. Just purchased from Walmart for $85 shipped. Cheapest I could find.

https://ibb.co/jsB3K7
https://ibb.co/mYeJmn
https://ibb.co/jk8NCS

Registered
I believe water has gotten into these motor from the factory. My 2012 driver window just failed. After removing the motor, taking it apart, the armature was rusted and wet. There is no way for water to get into the motor, inside the door. I live in a very dry climate... You would think Ford would recall these motors. My dealer didn't know anything about window motors failing,,,,,, RIGHT! The pic. Water still inside the gears. Totally rusted out.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts