Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yoo fellow 2nd gen 5-speed owners. ill try to describe this as best i can. have any of you ever been like just cruising slowly in 1st gear at a steady 10-15mph, foot barely on the gas pedal then all of a sudden the car slightly jerks and starts to slow down, RPMs slightly drop.. all as if you let off the gas pedal and then you have to give it more gas to keep the RPMs and speeds up... has that happened to any of you??

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
yep, one of the downsides to having Drive by wire! the computer is trying to guess what you want it to do and sometimes gets it wrong.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
yup mine does it to. That is why I normally have it to the floor so it always knows what I want haha.

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
Lol yea its like "you gonna keep going orr....well fudge you, I'm slowing down" *jerk* its almost like a jakke brake without the noise
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It's that asinine electronic throttle. It should NOT go when you let off the gas. Mine does that too.

I'd love to program the thing to work like an actual gas pedal. My engine should NOT idle cold at 3000 RPM.

·
Registered
578 Posts
our cars have multiple intake runners. my guess is it is transitioning between the two

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright instead of making another thread im going to ask another question to you guys. like the last one this mostly pertains to 5-speed owners. during cold weather does anyone else get like a rough or i guess... crunchy like gear change from 1st to 2nd?? like mostly during the first shift after start up.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yah mine has done it since i bought it. My dealer thinks im nuts. I have even had them change the gear oil with no improvement. And it seems to only do it in 1-2. So then i had them check the linkage and they said it was peoperly adjusted. (There are adj screws under the shift boot on thr cables).

My dealer says there is just a strong detent. Basically he told me to butch up. If i were to trow it any harder i would punch thru the dash.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah glad im not alone. its just odd feeling.. kinda loud to. then after that it just goes away as the trans/engine warms up.

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
yep. but i guess thats how it works. on another i just started shifting at 3500 rpm when the engine is cold. sure does make shifting less irritating rather than wait for the rpm's to drop

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just go up to about 3000+ rpms in 1st gear.. clutch in... crunch... 2nd gear.. clutch out. thats one thing about the winter ... seems harder to keep the car clean with the overnite frost frosting up everything. and of course the above crunch shift.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Huh - that doesn't sound so good, everything is butter smooth on mine so far this year. 20*F this morning and smooth shifting... It was a little slower then at full temp, looks like this MTX-75 needs some Ford honey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts