Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that it's not a race car but, the delay between when your foot is on the floor to the time the car actually moves is atrocious!
Is there any way to reprogram this?
I don't know if it's all the DBW or the TCM is a culprit, too.
it's an automatic and, basically, undrivable.
At times, if you catch it wtong, it can be as much as a 3 second delay!
it is dangerous.
help :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is most likely a result of the fact that the automatic transmission is really an automated manual transmission.

If you have ever driven a manual transmission, then use that as a reference for understanding how your transmission is going to respond/perform. You will also have to take into account that the car's computers are guessing what your intentions are. The car is easily confused by things like a 'California Roll' at the stop sign.

If you drive like you are trying to maximize mileage (easy on the acceleration, coast a lot, very little stop/go), then the transmission seems to respond very well. If you drive it like you are in a race, it will probably respond very poorly and exhibit many characteristics of a driver that doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission (stutters, hesitates, shifts to wrong gear, doesn't shift gears at the right moment, ...)

For most people, they are somewhere in between those two extremes. I recommend reading all the threads in this forum as modifying the driving style helps somewhat.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to rely on this car to punch the accelerator when merging or trying to get in front of someone. It may leave you looking like a jerk when it hesitates/stutters at the wrong moment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
gatzdon sums it up pretty well. Some Foci are equipped with an "S" or sport mode, but there will always be some sort of lag. Some of it is in the PCM to protect the engine, though I've heard tuning can help this to a degree. The rest would be in the TCM which is programmed to protect the component. It will try it's best to give the driver the performance he/she desires while protecting the powertrain from sudden shocks and harsh engagements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. That's pretty much exactly how it acts and what I thought. I was hoping for programming options but, I guess I just will never get another one. I've almost been creamed seveal times trying to merge only to have the car die for 3 seconds while it tries to figure out what to do.
like I said, not looking for a race car, just some form of responsiveness. I wanted a manual but all the manuals were stripped models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went from a mini cooper S into this thing because I moved to Manhattan and didn't want to worry about having such a stiff riding car. Big mistake.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If your focus really has a 3 second delay asked to accelarate then there is something wrong with your car. There is a sticky at the top of this forum that gives some driving tips. Be "deliberate" with your accelerator pedal application. By that I mean don't start to go, stop and hit the brake, then start, stop, then finally mash it, that will throw it for a loop.

After having recently driven a VW golf with a DSG, I'm more impressed with the Powershift than I was previously.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Sounds like your throttle response is atrocious. Even when I floor it in gear, it'll start moving quickly in the same gear before downshifting. Now granted it takes "a while" before the downshift is completed, but throttle inputs are very responsive in mine.

You may need to pay a service department a visit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 14 se is 5spd has horrible delay to. its only about a split second but i notice it most when shifting into second and into 5th. You have to have your foot completely off of the gas pedal before pushing in the clutch pedal otherwise the rpms will jump up between gears. Also, when shifting from first to second it likes to hold the rpm instead of letting it drop causing a unsmooth shift into second. I never had problems with any of my other drive by wire cars.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Having driven a few manual cars I drive my 6spdDCT similarly. Regarding the 3 second delay I have learned how to compensate between my intention and when the car will react. Same deal for any movements not from a complete stop ie. car downshifts as I slow to take a bend, as I approach the apex I begin getting on the gas again and as I cross over it I'll have the transmission engaged where I want it. It's not a normal auto, you gotta adjust your driving to it a fair amount. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts