Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any hints on how to pop that damn bolt so I can get the belt off?

I am trying to remove my alternator and this is the only thing standing in my way.

·
Registered
789 Posts
you have to torque on the tensioner to be able to losen the tension to remove the belt.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Find the belt tensioner and use a wrench to push it toward the rear of the car to take the pressure off the belt and slide the belt off the crank.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
You'll need to do this from the bottom of the car and will also need to do this to get the belt back on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still having a lot of trouble here.

I never took the belt off because it turns out I didn't need to. The problem now is I took the bolts out of the alternator and now I can't get it back in because the belt is pulling down on the alternator pully and it's moving the hole just enough to make it not line up.

I tried pushing the bolt but it didn't seem to move at all, it's possible I am just semi retarded and don't know how to do this but I could really use some help as today is the last day I have to fix my car.

Any help would be great, what size wrench I should be using, where I should be coming, anything?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
You can not install the alternator with the belt connected.

You need to leave the belt off, install alternator, route belt to all pullies EXCEPT the crank, push back toward rear on tensioner pully using 15mm wrench and route belt around crank.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
microtonal said:
You can not install the alternator with the belt connected.

You need to leave the belt off, install alternator, route belt to all pullies EXCEPT the crank, push back toward rear on tensioner pully using 15mm wrench and route belt around crank.
Yah, that's kinda the problem heh.

I took out the two bolts in the alternator with out taking off the belt so now the alternator has been pulled down a bit so the holes don't line up.

15 Mil wrench, push toward back.

Will it pop into place or anything or will it just move a bit?

I was using a 5/8ths and it just wouldn't move.

How do you like the new song?

Gunna go see em on the 30th.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, now I have the belt off, and the two alternator bolts out but the damn thing wont move. What's the deal here? What am I missing?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
What the alternator ?

It's in there tight and may require some muscle to get it out.

If you have a rubber mallet, you it.

Otherwise, try to find a way to leverage it out with a long/strong screwdriver or tire iron without damaging anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I don't really want to remove it. I just wanna put the damn bolts back in so I can put it back together, but the front bolt wont slide back in.

The holes aren't lined up or something because I cannot get one of the bolts to go back in.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I think you've answered your own question.
If the bolt isn't going in, then the holes can't be aligned.

I know it's a tight place to work with but you'll need to move the alternator around to get it aligned. It's in the bracket tight and sometimes feels like it's impossible but it can be done with persistance.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Hey, take a 1/2 hour break and go back. Trust me, once you get a chance to cool off and get something to drink youll think or contort yourself in a new way to get it all back together.

Do take off the belt. That will free up some small amount of space. Take the bolts of the bracket out and get the alternator positioned where it needs to be. Then put the bolts back in and the belt back on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right, that's most definatly the plan, the problem is the alternator is seemingly "stuck" in the place it's in.

It wont move.

The only walk throughs I have seen are in Chiltons and the Webiste linked in the HowTo section here.

Both say Disconnect all electrical pieces (done), Move the fuild tanks (done), take off belt (done), remove the front bolt, then the other bolt as far as you can (done), remove alternator (wont budge).

I assumed it would just pick right up, but it seems as if there is maybe even another bolt in there.

I tried leverage with a wrench but it didn't budge.

I only get maybe an hour a night to work on it and I haven't touched it for three days untill this morning. I have everything ready I just can't get the damn alternator to move.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Figure out the direction the belt tension was pulling the alternator when you took the bolts out, and try pulling/yanking it in the opposite direction. If you can gett a rubber or plastic hammer in there, give it a few taps in the direction opposite of how the belt was pulling it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts