Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed fogs and made a wiring harness to properly run them. I have a stock dimmer switch with the fog light option. Here is my installation thread:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453225

I took the driver side wheel off and liner, and tried to drill a hole in a safe location (away from wires fuse box) but I cannot find the hole on the other side. Even leaving the bit all the way in and trying to run my hand on the inside, still no go.

Is there a prime location to drill a hole to run a single wire? Is there a more preferred route I should/could go to get the wire to the inside without drilling? Is the firewall doubled with negative space between each wall, requiring me to drill two separate holes (one at wheel well, one at footwell)?

I'm open to any opinions and friendly advice. Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? If you have an automatic transmission there is already a hole in the firewall that you can use. It's where the clutch master cylinder would be located if your car were a manual transmission. Generally there is going to be a rubber plug there in place of the CMC. Pop that plug out and you have at least a 3/4" hole that you can use.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? If you have an automatic transmission there is already a hole in the firewall that you can use. It's where the clutch master cylinder would be located if your car were a manual transmission. Generally there is going to be a rubber plug there in place of the CMC. Pop that plug out and you have at least a 3/4" hole that you can use.
I have a manual. Sorry should have mentioned that.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Searching online and from what I can tell it appears to be easiest right above the CMC. I will try to put a pilot hole through there and see if I can see it from inside the engine bay. I'll probably pull the battery out to get to it easier. I have a 1/4" x 10" bit for the grommet (along with silicon to completely seal it.

For some reason, I'm worried that I'll drill right into something in the engine bay and cause more harm than good. The cautious side always ends up being the death of me.

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
That's where I drilled mine for my wideband. Just be careful and it always helps to have someone on the other side watching to make sure you don't hit anything. Just be sure to move the drill through slowly.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Push a ballpoint pen through the hole from the inside out into engine compartment. then, tape the end of the wire and push it through the same way. Mine came out under the engine compartment fuse box. Pushing from the inside out is always better.

Reactions: zetecDon

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
Push a ballpoint pen through the hole from the inside out into engine compartment. then, tape the end of the wire and push it through the same way. Mine came out under the engine compartment fuse box. Pushing from the inside out is always better.
I forgot to mention this part!^^^

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^It's how babies come into this world....

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,108 Posts
He could do that or use a hangar but I don't think he can get anything through cleanly or he wouldn't have this problem.

When to pokes it from the outside, it gets stuck somewhere, but from the inside it gets stuck somewhere as well.

Just peel back as much as you can and poke something through from the outside again, though if you drilled all the way through, you should see the hole. Be wary of the angle that you drilled as it could be up to high to see.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I missed out on some of this conversation. Personally, I think that the "how babies come into this world" was both amusing and educational! Who would'a thunk? hehe

Honestly though, thank you for the help. If the weather didn't go from decent to constant rain everyday w/ a chance of more rain, I would have given the drilling another shot already. Maybe in a bit if I get a chance (today or tomorrow during work) I will give it another try and provide more feedback.

Thanks guys for your help and suggestions!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
Forgot to mention that you might need to remove some of the firewall insulation as well. I remember drilling into that shit and it just spun around on the bit after tearing off a big chunk of it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to mention that you might need to remove some of the firewall insulation as well. I remember drilling into that shit and it just spun around on the bit after tearing off a big chunk of it.
That hard to be a mess. Thanks for the tip. I'll strike an "x" above the CMC where my hole will go in the padding.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,108 Posts
I guess you are way different than me. I didn't drill though that material.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess you are way different than me. I didn't drill though that material.
I noticed that you didn't have this padding material in your car in the pic you sent me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Inside

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
No, this padding material is inside the engine compartment. It's the firewall insulation pad. On the inside I just had a little bit of the padding that I could easily pull down and out of the way. Hell, I probably need to go look at it again and see exactly what I did lol. It's been awhile since I did it and I am just relying off of what I remember.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,108 Posts
I went in the wheel well through the bare metal. Getting the drill and drill bit to fit in that space because of the strut was a pain in the butt.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,108 Posts
I made a slit in the grommet that the main harness goes through right above the drivers foot area.

Was it hollow all the way through or was there a solid plug somewhere like in the door jambs?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts