Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any way to reduce brake pad dust accumulation on your wheels without affecting brake characteristics (cooling, etc.)? (Yeah yeah, brake less, downshift more, etc.) Any way to help prevent this? Does wheel polish do any good?

Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ceramic brake pads are supposed to reduce the brake dust. Other than that I can't think of anything that would help.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've seen things that mount between the wheel and the car... but if you've got nice rims, I would imagine it would distract badly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think anything that mounts between the wheel and the car (brakes) would affect the cooling flow around the brakes.

I thought maybe there was some miracle wheel polish, but I guess hot metal dust probably sticks to just about any surface huh.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
ceramic pads will all but eliminate the dust and have far better braking characteristics than stock style pads do.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good call. Thanks loco, I'll live with it until the stock pads are dead, then switch to ceramic. Is there much of a price difference?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I also use ceramic brake pads...no brake dust and great braking.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome. I'll keep that in mind next time it is time for a new set. Thanks Damage and loco.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
In the meantime, get some wheel cleaner. maquires makes some that works great, just make sure you leave it on for 5 or 10 minutes before washing it off. doesn't remove it all, but its better than having to try and scrub it off (stuff works really great if you do use a brush before washing, it helps it penetrate more)

·
Banned
263 Posts
clean your wheels with wd-40 will put a "slick" coating on the wheels causing less to stick and will clean off easier, however spray onto a soft terry cloth and wipe on using generous amounts. DO NOT SPRAY ON will get on the brake rotors and other parts!!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I take my wheels off every 3K and rotate them myself. My friends dad has a shop with a balancer. Why I have the wheels off the car, I power wash them with wheel cleaner. I let them dry and put a coat of new finish on them. Granted I have painted wheels, so this won't help for chrome. The first time I did this I used three coats. The next time you wash the car, the dust practically falls of the wheels when you spray them with wheel cleaner. It kind of labor intensive and no miracle like your probably looking for, but it makes them real easy to clean at every wash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts