Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Going to do my first oil change on my better half's '03 Focus SE (2.0L SOHC). Just wondering what's up with the drain plug. Crush washer? I crawled underneath to look and I can't tell. I'm used to seeing a visible, rubber grommet thingy like on my truckand my Jeep. Or, is there an o-ring.... I just can't see?

Any help (like always) is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. [thumb]

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Just make sure there's a washer on there. I guess you're expected to change that washer with every oil change, nobody does. Just make sure it's still round and has smooth sealing surfaces so it can seal again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really need to know what is supposed to be there. For instance, if bought used and someone before took it off.

Also, if something is there should it be visible?

Details man.....I need details.[confused]

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think fords often have a nylon washer that's molded right on the plug. It's not a seperate thing. I don't remember what the focus uses. You'd have to take the plug out, wipe it off, and look carefully to see it. If you're worried about dropping your oil, then finding out you can't reseal the pan plug, you can use most anything in a pinch. For example, run the plug in a few turns, then put about 6 turns of teflon tape in the gap between the pan and the head of the plug, then tighten it down. You can make your own oring that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts