Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[pray] Tom you are the best man to talk to for things in this area and im a moron with tires so i could really use the help. im getting drag tires sometime pretty soon, the kind with just a few little rain veins in them to make them street legal, and im just curious as to what will fit and not rub under daily driving conditions. im not going to drive on them every day i just want them not to rub like crazy if i have them on out on the street smoking the local ricers or driving out to the drag strip. i am putting them on 16x7's so what size tire would be good in your opinion?

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
I allways used the BFG G-Force Drag Radial and liked them a lot , thing is with drig tires and driving them on the street they dont last long because it takes a soft compound rubber to hook up and soft compounds dont last 10,000 miles on the road

Tom

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i know that!!! i have 18's for the bling bling daily driving and road racing and i bought the 16's specifically to put drag radials on them. i would probably have the radials on the car 3 days out of a month. what i need to know is what size tire can fit. i dont want anything huge, ill only be pushing 250hp. i might need to go bigger later but that is later. would a 22 inch tire be good probably? and i doubt a teeny tiny 250hp will be enough to justify wrinkle walls so just your standard soft compound radial would probably be best right? come on im looking for advice from the best here.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
im running 215 size bfg drag radials on stock fifteens there is no rubbing

·
Banned
179 Posts
You would definetly be better off getting 15" wheels instead of your 16". If you have an NA car, I would definetly get the 22" tires.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I concur, get 15 in wheels for your drag radials.

I belive the smallest street legal drag tire for a 16 is like a 235/50-16 or similar which is too big for a focus.

Get a set of stock 15's and put 225/50-15 BFG drag radials on them.

*cheap plug* I have a set of brand new BFG's in this size that happen to be for sale...

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
well i know that!!! i have 18's for the bling bling daily driving and road racing and i bought the 16's specifically to put drag radials on them. i would probably have the radials on the car 3 days out of a month. what i need to know is what size tire can fit. i dont want anything huge, ill only be pushing 250hp. i might need to go bigger later but that is later. would a 22 inch tire be good probably? and i doubt a teeny tiny 250hp will be enough to justify wrinkle walls so just your standard soft compound radial would probably be best right? come on im looking for advice from the best here.
You need to make a trip here to my shop , I have 4 wheels that have road race tires on them that fit the Focus that I will take 100.00 for all 4 with about 40% left on tread , killer deal if you road race any , I used 16 inch BFG when I was running them

Tom

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know the nitto 555s can take abuse, well at least on a mustang. My buddy ate some cooper drag radials in 3 months & the 555s he upgraded to lasted almost a full year with tons of abuse thrown to them all on the street.

Looking at the nitto line up though, your only choices of drag radials are the NT01, NT450, & the base NT555.

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
You would definetly be better off getting 15" wheels instead of your 16". If you have an NA car, I would definetly get the 22" tires.
I found the 15 gave it to much gear and the 16 killed the gear some

Tom

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so what im gathering is that the factory focus 15's are the best wheels to put drag radials on? i feel like i would need to actually kill the gearing a little bit for later on. does any1 use 16s for drag? if i cant get radials for them then im just going to put cheap rubber back on them and sell them. thank goodness i still have my stock wheels. i thought surely i could get radials for the 16s tho. they just look so great!

Tom. it might be next week before i can make the trip down to your shop to get those wheels and tires. but i am very interested. are they lightweight wheels or just regular rims with road racing tires? at least. probably next friday or saturday.

EDIT: if they are lightweight wheels i will be down to buy them next week but if they are just regular old 16s with racing rubber then ill have to pass. i like my 18's very much for road racing. they are the most responsive wheel and tire combination ive ever had but i could use some lightweight rims.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts