Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys..I have a 2002 SVT Focus. the 17 inch wheels arent cutting it at the track. So, i am thinking about grabbing a stock set of 16 inch focus wheels, and putting some drag radials on them..problem, the only size thats offered in a 16 is a 255/50/16R. btw, thats focking wide as hell... any suggestions? i would like to run a 15 but calipers wont allow me to do so.. anyone know something I dont, and drag radials wont [:)][:)][:)][:)] anything up on my car will they?

·
Registered
950 Posts
i don't know much else, but i do know that drag radials should have no ill effect on your car

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
There are one or two 15" wheels that will just barely fit over the SVT brakes. There should be a thread on that in here about which wheels those are.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Drag radials are a bad idea most of the time on a front drive car. Not everytime, but most the time. On most front drive cars, they tend to wheel hop, that can turn ugly very fast with the trans and the axles. I have seen these problems over and over because of drag radials. A good sticky street tire is better for your car, and if youre going to drag race her, just save up and get you some spare rims and drag slicks.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ wouldnt slicks be worse that d/r's? theres no give in them..they have more surface area contact than d/r's...but yeah, a set of 15's would be nice..

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Believe it or not, theyre not as bad. The drag slicks will have a very hard linear pull without the hopping. The wheel hop on a very sticky tire is far worse on the drivetrain. Hope that makes since.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so, with that said, you would go with slicks over drag radials? and what size? i have a few bolt ons...i want slicks that arent very harsh ya know?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Slicks work the same pretty much no matter what size. If you get some that fit a rim that fits your car, thats all you need. They will do their job. The drag radials tend to have wheel hop, thats what causes damage to your drivetrain. A slick on your car will work even ifyou think its a little small, they have great traction at smaller sizes than a normal street tire. The sidewalls will make up for the wheel hop giving you a better launch and much more linear launch. Drag radials dont have the give that the slicks do. They are sticky, but not forgiving.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
That i have never tried to do. Im sure some member on here could tell you but i havent seen a 15" on a svt, ever. Post a thread asking that straight up.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if so, then i can try and get a 15x6 wheel, and go to MH Racemaster and get a 6 inch wide slick..that should be enough, right?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the OZ Ultraleggera 15x7 wheels on my svtf. One side was a snug on the brake caliper while the other side actually did not clear completely. I had to lightly grind some material off the brake caliber, which I really did not like doing. It will probably be okay, but something I did not want to do.

They do look nice and weigh a good amount less. Here are some pictures below. You can see how tight of a fit it is. The tires are 225/50/15 bfg drag radials.

There was another rim that fit better, but I cannot remember the name of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts