Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my good friend has a 2003 zx3 2.0 zetec 5 speed. ok well first off we took it out racing last year to see kinda what this thing base lined. all it had done to it was a apc cheap short ram intake. stock exhaust, stock everything. it went 16.00 at 86 (1/4) and 10.30 at 65 (1/8). well now we have modded it a good bit. first off we ditched the gay apc intake for a new K&N intake. we added a magnaflow straight thru resonator in place of the stock muffler and chopped the lunchbox and added an SLP tip. were taking the back seats and passenger seats out and leaving the carpet and drivers seat. also removing the jack and spare. basically anything easy to remove. also we ordered a set of 22c motorcraft plugs and a compucar nitrous in a bag kit. were gonna start off by spraying the car 20hp then move up to 40hp then maybe even a 60hp shot depending. also got a set of BFG G-force 225/50/15 drag radials that will be here tomorrow to go on the stock wheels. when the car was purchased it weighed 2570lbs without the driver. now im hoping with the weight reduction and the motor mods i think it should go 10.00's (maybe high 9's) and high 15's on motor especially with the D/R's. on the nitrous im hoping this car will go low 9's and maybe see some mid 14's in the 1/4. my question is what would it take for this car to see some 8.90's and some low 14's? i still believe this car has some un-tapped potential. alot of parts on it are still all stock.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
First off I can't believe you got a 16 flat with only a ram intake. The stock intake is much better than a ram. Also a stock car runs i believe a 16.4 in the 1/4. Is this track down hill? And you won't get any of those #'s w/o a turbo. 10's and 9's are FAST. You'd have to have every bit of 700-800whp for those #'s.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
You'll also have to put some money in the trans.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dude. im talking 10's and 9's in the 1/8 and 14's in the 1/4... lmao. no the track isnt down hill. we actually ran at silver dollar raceway in reynolds ga. the track we will be running at from now on is in valdosta and its pretty new. better hooking track. it went 16.00 and my svt went 15.74 that day and i havent ran it since. he hasnt ran since either. heres the vid. mines the black 5 door svt. his is the silver zx3.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/SVT-Focus_149740.htm

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Ah, that makes sense. Much better sense, lol. Then yeah guy that should get you there.

To get about a 14.8 I know you'll need around 165whp and 145tq.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha it wouldnt take 7-800hp to put a 2500lb car in the 10's. you could probobly put a heads/cam ls1 with a built 4l60e in a focus with a mustang 8.8 and go 10's easily with about 450-500whp.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Well, if ur looking for low 14's, you will need 200 whp or more. I am running at 164 whp and only run a 14.819 and thas my best, I was right around a 14.9 pretty consistently. Not tryin to put my self up or anything, but I've made well over 300 passes in dragging and I know my way around the block. That time is w/ slipping the clutch from 5500 rpm and a LSD. Unless you are a pro driver (not saying I am or anything) u will have difficult seeing those times. I also think you may burn the clutch a little.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if ur looking for low 14's, you will need 200 whp or more. I am running at 164 whp and only run a 14.819 and thas my best, I was right around a 14.9 pretty consistently. Not tryin to put my self up or anything, but I've made well over 300 passes in dragging and I know my way around the block. That time is w/ slipping the clutch from 5500 rpm and a LSD. Unless you are a pro driver (not saying I am or anything) u will have difficult seeing those times. I also think you may burn the clutch a little.
hp doesnt have much to do with it. tq is what gives good 60'. good 60' is a major factor ina good e/t. this car stock went 16.00. the clutch is upgraded although im not sure with what but it grabs HARD. ive done 6000rpm clutch dumps with this car. the clutch has never slipped at all so i dont think that will be a factor. im pretty sure it either has a spec or a centerforce dual friction clutch in it. i have a few more ?'s for you. what mods did you have when you ran those times? how much did the car weigh? were you on D/R's or street tires? if this car went 10.30's and 16.00's stock on street tires then i dont see how its not gonna go 10.00's and 15.80's on motor with the weight out and the mods it has. then with the gas on it i think it should easily go high 14's. im not gonna burn the clutch. im gonna ebrake the car in the burnout box and heat the tires up then im gonna launch at about 5500 rpm's and side step the clutch. im a pretty good driver and ive been drag racing all my life so driving the car shouldnt be a problem. its gonna break or its gonna go down the track. thanks for your input and ill be waiting to hear your replys

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got my car dyno'd 164.4 whp and 144.2 wtq N/A!!! My best quarter mile was 14.819 @ 96.32 mph w/ a 2.32 60 ft at 2588 lbs w/ me in the car!!!

sorry just saw your sig. what did the car run stock? why was your 60' so slow? were you on street tires? i think this thing should see 2.0 60' times side stepping the clutch on drag radials. what was your 1/8 mile e/t and trap? ive seen cars trapping 96 mph and running 13's. something just isnt adding up.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
if i'm not mistaken i think tom was running mid-11's with 450 hp

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
well, in a nutshell, ya, I need to work on my 60' times alot, I had better 60' times at around a 2.2, I'll see if I can sort through my old slips and post that one up. I had a 2.19 for a 60', but I couldn't keep it at that. This was my best time because I was shifting at 7650 rpm. I was too much of a panzi to push it past 7400 as I didn't want to risk it, but when shifting, this kept me in the powerband much better. I only did this a couple of times as my engine temps were getting very high, so I only ran a few more passes afterwards. Then I didn't shift till 7500 ish and I was running 14.9's I am not running Drag Radials, I am running Yokohoma A048's. They are a race compound that I use for autocross, they hook, but prolly not as good as the D/R. I am still working on slipping the clutch properly, it is a tough bugger. If I can slip it properly and hook on the D/R, I bet I could run the 2.0 60' and my times would drop alot, but I don't have an extra set of rims right now to put them on. My car weighed 2588 w/ me in the car and ~ 2 gallons of fuel. Basically my problem is w/ slipping the clutch. That was the first night I was at the track w/ all my mods in place. I know there is room for improvement, just haven't been to the track since. I think I can hit a 14.5 or maybe a bit lower if I get D/R's.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
well, in a nutshell, ya, I need to work on my 60' times alot, I had better 60' times at around a 2.2, I'll see if I can sort through my old slips and post that one up. I had a 2.19 for a 60', but I couldn't keep it at that. This was my best time because I was shifting at 7650 rpm. I was too much of a panzi to push it past 7400 as I didn't want to risk it, but when shifting, this kept me in the powerband much better. I only did this a couple of times as my engine temps were getting very high, so I only ran a few more passes afterwards. Then I didn't shift till 7500 ish and I was running 14.9's I am not running Drag Radials, I am running Yokohoma A048's. They are a race compound that I use for autocross, they hook, but prolly not as good as the D/R. I am still working on slipping the clutch properly, it is a tough bugger. If I can slip it properly and hook on the D/R, I bet I could run the 2.0 60' and my times would drop alot, but I don't have an extra set of rims right now to put them on. My car weighed 2588 w/ me in the car and ~ 2 gallons of fuel. Basically my problem is w/ slipping the clutch. That was the first night I was at the track w/ all my mods in place. I know there is room for improvement, just haven't been to the track since. I think I can hit a 14.5 or maybe a bit lower if I get D/R's!!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
awesome that sounds a bit more like it. we ran his car on the g-tech tonight and in this humid ass head with the new D/R's on motor it went 15.90. it went 16.00 stock in the winter so im figuring had the temp/humidity been the same it would have been around a 15.70. with that in mind the new D/R's spun because they arent broke in yet and the dew had already fallen being it was around midnight so with some hot sticky vht soaked concrete and broke in D/R's i bet we can remedy that and bring it down another 10th. the nitrous kit came in today also so were gonna be spraying it friday night starting off with a 20hp shot and moving up to a 40 then maybe a 60 depending on how well the car does on the 20 and 40. were also taking out the back seats and the passenger seat as well as the jack and spare and everything else not bolted down in the car to shed some weight so im hoping this thing will see some 14's and some DEEP low 9's in the 1/8. im keeping my fingers crossed for an 8.9x pass that would be pretty awesome. next week we are ordering a long tube header and a set of 228/228 comp cams then we will go from there! should have some vids up after this weekend.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
You should actually take it to the track, the g-techs are accurate, but not too accurate, the only way to check is the strip!! What kind of N20 kit are u getting?? I'm curious about this cause i only want a 40 or 50 shot w/ my SC!!

·
Registered
789 Posts
my car(SRT4) stock runs ~14.2 boosting at 14psi in the 1/4 with 235whp, but it also weighs a little more than the focus. best to date is a [email protected] boosting at 17psi on the stock turbo. SRT4 curb weight is ~2900lbs

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should actually take it to the track, the g-techs are accurate, but not too accurate, the only way to check is the strip!! What kind of N20 kit are u getting?? I'm curious about this cause i only want a 40 or 50 shot w/ my SC!!
the g-tech is actually suprisingly accurate. we use it pretty often and drag race pretty often and have very similar results with the g-tech. were going to valdosta to south ga motorsports park tomorrow night to run the car in the 1/4. we already have the nitrous. ordered it tuesday and it came wednesday from summit in mcdonough ga. its a compucar nitrous in a bag kit. its all in a duffel bag. were gonna install the colder plugs tonight and the nitrous. already got the bottle filled so tonight were gonna g-tech it again and see what kinda gains we see with a 20hp shot them maybe a 40hp shot.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
The only reason I say the G-techs aren't accurate is there is a guy at MTU who uses it w/ his turbo'd omni, It said mid 14's and he ran a 13.6!!! So I don't really trust em. IMO, the only way to know is to go to the track!!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
his must have been defected. ours is usually within a 10th of what the vehicle runs. we cant run it on the gtech anyway. his car only has 1 12v cigarette lighter output so we cant use the nitrous and the gtech.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts