Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a Shorty Header, and a Catback Exhaust and my car ran a 16.7 (was runnin 18.4 stock) in a 1/4 mile....i need quicker speeds whether it be acceleration or horsepower without going turbo or SC cause i simply dont have that much money, anyone have any sugestions? and about what would a CAI put me at? i drive a....
2000 DOHC Zetec ATX Tranny
Shorty Edelbrack header
Catback JBA 2 1/4

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
tune... sct xcal2

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
cai, high flow cat, flex pipe, and a tune. that should get you 16 flat or better, but being at what ever altitude you are, that could be a stretch. I was running 16.3s last night in Orlando with my mods listed below...if you drop in elevation youd be pretty impressed.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
36--How fast(cash to spend ) do you want to go? A lower temp thermo will make you run a little richer. And with the cai it will help a bit, Also you can get some cam gears and make the most of your timing. Underdrive pulleys free up a little power also.
These are cheap mods but provin over and over again. I`m gonna say the "T" word throttle body you will get better response but not much h.p. gains (BUT) it will be there when you are ready to really go for it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
just do all bolt ons..theyll make a world of a difference...tune, cai, cams, cams gears, t/b, udp, high flow cat, then work on mounts to get that power to the ground, also a good set of sticky front tires and light rims will greatly improve your times...a cheap trick i do i lower my air pressure to around 20psi or soo and make sure the tires are nice and warm youd be surprised how it makes a difference!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well im at a balance of like 50 bucks right about now, but as soon as i get my stereo system sold ill have around 550.00 so that should get me a decent amount of parts, right? i mean im getting a CAI for free from my buddy so thats checked off the list....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way....im tired of getting beatin my Corsicas, Berrettas, Grand Ams....my friends sisters Lumina can beat my focus....its embarassing

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
With $550 you could complete your exhaust system...replace the shorty with an OBX 4-2-1 race header ($175 or so on e-bay) and get a flexpipe to match your catback ($150,) then get an intake of some kind (Volant/Pipercross) and you will have opened up the intake and exhaust systems, netting you maybe 5 WHP. Bear in mind you have to spend a lot to go fast in a Focus, however, the ATX is going to be a major limiting point. Aside from reducing more while getting the power from the crank to the wheels, it will limit you to bolt ons plus mild-grind cams and a tune. The highest you should even consider pushing your Focus to is ~130 WHP, any higher and you'll need some major transmission work.

And aside from all that...Foci aren't drag strip cars. If that's all you're looking to do, trade the Focus in and get a late 80's/early 90's Mustang GT for ~$5,000.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i still owe around 4,500.00 on my car....and my buddy who runs at this event called 'Fun Ford Weekend' has an all motor 11 sec focus

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'm just saying...the Focus was designed with handling in mind, not straight-line acceleration. And I'd be curious as to how much money your friend had to sink into his all-motor Focus to get it to lay down a flat 11 second 1/4 mile time, when Tom of Focus-Power was only able to break his 500 WHP turbo ZX3 with a lentech built auto into the high 10's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts