Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a automatic, does it help your time if you turn off the Over Drive? Iheard from some people it does, and i notice it increases RPM's but having overdrive off is engine slowing, so how does that make you go faster?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't have an automatic but i'll give it a try.....I personally just manually shift an automatic car at the track(or when racing), but alot of ppl on here will flame you for doing that to a stock transmission. So i'll go with, you should turn off over drive and leave it in drive. But it would also depen on what gear your car is in by the time you get to the end of the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It wont make a differance. OD wont come on at WOT (unless your maxing out 3rd) and your not going fast enough by the end of the 1/4 to need another gear past 3rd. Generally OD only comes on while cruising (maintaining ie not accellerating) above 60 (KPH sorry I'm Canadian EH) during a race its not going to come on so I see no reason it would do anything one way or another.

Jake

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Zyghot

thats what i do when im racin let ppl flame us i have a 100k warrenty on my trans :) screw ford if that tranny ant made for it than they can replace it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
no "normal" automatic is MEANT to be shifted manually. you want to shift. buy a 5 speed. your just going to break something and I doubt it makes you any faster. less consistant. yes. faster. doubt it. the stock auto at WOT should shift right at the red line anyway. trust me your going to do nothing but blow up your automatic. and shure you MIGHT get lucky and get anohter. but your just going to blow that one and one day my friend. you will be screwed.

Jake

·
Registered
251 Posts
When you say "normal" automatic mn12bird do you mean stock?.....I have never really driven a newer automatic, except for my friends modded Pontiac GTP, and his car is definitely faster when you manually shift his automatic tranny.....Now my Camaro on the other hand is a different story [}:)] ....it's auto tranny has been built purposely for manual shifting.

Either way, I suggest that you save for a Lentech Tranny if you are going to mod your car in any serious manner. And for these automatics, it doesn't take much to get to it's limit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
well you have a manual valve body in your camaro? and a vavle body re-calabratioin (shift kit) in the GTP?! well nice. and GMs automatics. RWD esp are much better than any Ford. and you can easily blow a GM 3.8 SC auto so have fun with that GTP. Point is in a stock automatic its no faster (mabie a fraction of a fraction of a second) but not worth blowing up! I had a shift kit in my 4.6 Tbird and it shifted much faster when manually shifting afterwards. before the kit it wasn't really any differant. yes I blew the 7R70W in my bird. wasn't fun when I had to pay 2400 (CDN) for a rebuild! and I still didn't learn my lesson! guess I can't say much now!

Jake

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah, my Maro has a complete drag built tranny so it can handle it.....but my friends GTP on the other hand has a completely stock tranny(I do have to admit it can handle some power and abuse for a FWD tranny).............but in the end it's more cost-efficient to invest in a tranny, then to take the chance of blowing on the street one day.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I would say shift manually, but if it is actually true that in D is shifts at redline *** then stay in D. I would try both ways and see which is better for your racing. Cars would not be built with a 1-2-D unless you would be able to make manual shifts, especially on a focus. Who would ever need to hold first gear in that car for daily driving? Manually shifting the car is not going to hurt it if your just doing in at the races, but if you are shifting this way everyday of course you are going to do some damage.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i tried it once at the track last night, it doesnt help. unless i did something wrong. i ran .2 seconds slower

its different if you're doing it from a roll...you know...drop it to second if you need to pass somebody or something..then it gets the power to you faster

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yeah i wasnt sure about the automatic and when it shift at WOT. If you have a shift kit it will hold the gear until you shift it. If it is true about redline then i wouldnt bother doing it. It will just be one less thing to worry about when racing.

·
Registered
921 Posts
N2O Focus said:
I would say shift manually, but if it is actually true that in D is shifts at redline *** then stay in D. I would try both ways and see which is better for your racing. Cars would not be built with a 1-2-D unless you would be able to make manual shifts, especially on a focus. Who would ever need to hold first gear in that car for daily driving? Manually shifting the car is not going to hurt it if your just doing in at the races, but if you are shifting this way everyday of course you are going to do some damage.
1-2-D is so you can keep it in a low gear for snowy or dangerous conditions, especially when dealing with inclines, allowing for lots of engine braking. Manually shifting an auto will kill it, but it's your tranny, not mine.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
OandAWOW said:
1-2-D is so you can keep it in a low gear for snowy or dangerous conditions, especially when dealing with inclines, allowing for lots of engine braking. Manually shifting an auto will kill it, but it's your tranny, not mine.
The problem with what you are saying is that it is the same as manually shifting and if you live in those types of conditions then you would be trashing the tranny. But it sounds like if you live in bad weather areas and use 1-2-D then it would be the same as manually shifting at the track once or twice a month.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
except doing that occasionally in those specific circumstances is not done at wide open throttle unlike at the track.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Doing that anytime is going to be hard on the tranny. Also if they say that in D @ WOT it shifts at redline then the tranny is doing the same thing as manual shifting.

·
Registered
921 Posts
You don't shift it from 1-2-D, you put it in 1 or 2 and leave it there...that's the whole point in being able to keep it in the gear you want. That way if you're doing 35-40 in the snow, you have a higher engine speed preventing you from spinning the wheels when cruising, but it enables engine braking so that you can pretty much coast to a crawl, then use the brakes to stop.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts