Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several weeks ago, I began to notice some shudder in the transmission of my 2014 Focus when I accelerate from a stop, and a slight acceleration in the engine RPM as the engine shifts. I'd hoped that I was low on transmission fluid, but when I read the owner's manual, that's when I discovered there was no way for me to check it, nor add it! Because, as I discovered, I have a DPS6 transmission - which is essentially a manual transmission where the shifts are automatically controlled via servos! A cool idea - in principle, I guess. Not so cool, when I read about all the troubles with it.

I took it in to the dealer, and they confirmed for me that it is under warranty until February of 2022. But they also told me it "did not exceed the parameters" that qualified the double clutch (or, TCM) for replacement. I asked for a copy of these "parameters", and why my car didn't fail them - because it's apparent to everyone that drives the car there is something wrong. Attached are two relevant sheets from what I was given. It wasn't until I got home that I realized I was not supplied with "Attachment III", which apparently would give more information about what measurements were actually made. Does anyone have this document?

I was told that the technician never went past the "pinpoint test" because the clutch shudder was within acceptable limits (page 1 of attachment II, also attached). I'd like to know what those limits were, and how the behavior was measured.

They said they'd like for the car to fail, because then they get Ford to pay them for repairs. But I wonder, is this dealer blowing smoke? Apart from bringing the car back before February or until it breaks down - whichever comes first - what recourse do I have?

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,075 Posts
I'm not sure of how they measure it initially but if it was a pinpoint test then I take that to mean the mechanic's judgment. Dealer's don't get all that much from Ford for warranty or recall work as I understand it. They would probably not want to replace it if they can get away with it. However, if this is the same dealer that replaced your gas tank they obviously don't shy away from recall stuff. Maybe the warranty jobs pay even less than recall stuff, idk.
I would ask the service manager exactly what the process is. That 3rd page is probably key in finding that out since that shows the Attachment III. Maybe they didn't want you to see it. I mean if clutch shudder is intermittent then really they just have to go off of your observations. I haven't heard of that many dealers on this forum denying people a TCM replacement but I think I remember a couple. This dealer doesn't want to do either the clutch or the TCM for you. Maybe take it to another dealer not owned by the same owner and see what happens. There's no rule that you have to go to the same dealer for warranty work or recalls for that matter.
Or take it into them again in a few weeks and tell them that it's more noticeable. They'll see that you're not going to go away.

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
Don't quote me on this but I seem to remember something about a careful test set up to determine the clutch had to shudder or slip (shudder being a very fast repetitive slip and grab repeated over and over) to hit a certain rpm level and probably time spacing before they considered it bad enough to warrant work.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,075 Posts
Yes, now that I looked at his paperwork again it looks like there only is a pinpoint WSM procedure. There doesn't seem to be anything done before that like I was under the impression of at first. It would seem that the results of the test were withheld or I guess it's possible they just forgot to give it him.

·
Registered
18,198 Posts

Not nearly what all of the test is but hints at the result, the amount of rpm slip that has to be there before they admit the trans has an issue. 2 is the test, 3 and 4 are the determinant and the result.

One would have to look in service manual at the sections mentioned to find the actual test procedure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe take it to another dealer not owned by the same owner and see what happens. There's no rule that you have to go to the same dealer for warranty work or recalls for that matter.
Or take it into them again in a few weeks and tell them that it's more noticeable. They'll see that you're not going to go away.
This is a good suggestion, @Cobrajet67 - thanks. I think that indeed in a few weeks, it will be more noticeable! I'll be taking it to a different dealer when I do take it back - I've got roughly 6 months before it turns into a pumpkin.

Not nearly what all of the test is but hints at the result, the amount of rpm slip that has to be there before they admit the trans has an issue. 2 is the test, 3 and 4 are the determinant and the result.

One would have to look in service manual at the sections mentioned to find the actual test procedure.
This is good stuff, @amc49 - looks like they take tach readings and the delta during the shift is the the determining factor. There is the tech's written notation "shudder did not exceeds 250 it fails" on my first attachment - tortured English, but he's saying it passed because that delta in the pinpoint test was not exceeded.

Thank you both for your comments. There's a return visit to a (different) dealer in my future.

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
Luck.....Ford really soaked buyers with that one and in my view one big reason why they made the decision to cut sedan production, to get away from what promised to be record setting lawsuits. The people who bought the very latest ones will get cut off way faster than the normal cut in out-of-production service time and the reason will then be 'we don't even make those any more'. Already they use the purported chip shortage as a way to early cut off the TCM module supplies. Thousands of the cars already gathering dust because the TCMs can't be had, and the fix to get it off their back is to now blame China for us not having the chips.

I would not want to be an owner of one of the last couple years production cars at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts