Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would replacing the transmission with a used one solve the problem? How would I go about finding a transmission that does not have the shudder issue? I have reprogrammed it several times and thinking if I put a used one it might solve it? Or are all tranmissions shuddering?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Would replacing the transmission with a used one solve the problem? How would I go about finding a transmission that does not have the shudder issue? I have reprogrammed it several times and thinking if I put a used one it might solve it? Or are all tranmissions shuddering?
Can't imagine that would help. Most, if not all, exhibit some type of shudder.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
I'm going to cheat and say I don't want to write a book here, it'll take a bit of reading here to get a better idea of all the details on the shudder issue.

To summarize fast, this transmission is a double manual one, with two dry clutches. One for 1-3-5, one for 2-4-6.

ANY manual with a clutch can develop clutch "chatter", commonly referred to for these as a shudder to describe the results better.

This usually is caused by uncoordinated shifting (power and clutch engagement not balanced/timed right) OR the common issue with these of overheating a clutch by slipping it too much - single event or repeatedly.

Once chatter develops with any manual, it takes a LONG time of proper shifting to smooth out the chatter marks on the clutch/friction surfaces. A LITTLE extra slip not letting it get hot, or some hard use with slip (again keeping it too short for overheating) can smooth things out. With a std. manual you can choose to "burn it smooth" sacrificing some clutch life with a few high slip engagements. With the automatic controls on a DCT the closest you can come is a few full throttle 0-60 runs to help out.

Avoiding creeping (extended clutch slip) and other driving that taxes it can give it time to recover. (whole thread on driving in the MkIII stickies)

NONE of this is useful IF you have leaking trans seals or even engine main seal letting oil get on the clutches.

The bad part of shudder/chatter is that it gets worse progressively once started if nothing is done to change operation.

Tom's tuning can't fix oil issues, but it DOES help with changing the uncoordinated shifting mentioned above. There's potential there to help smooth out the clutches as it shifts better as well.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

New clutch pack solves it all, at least for a short time, assuming no other issues remain to cause the cycle to start over again. Clutches more resistant to overheating and chatter development has been part of the factory response, along with trying different shift programs.

Used trans is a crap shoot, you have NO idea if it was working well or has worse clutches installed than yours.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Im not even sure if that'll work. In fact you might make things worst. These transmissions have to be "hard" teached clutch touch points and how to engage once new clutches are installed.

Im thinking swapping transmissions might have to be programmed by Ford jumping the price up if not in warranty. Its not going to be easy as swapping a junk yard used automatic like you would in a older car. This is one is way more complicated im afraid.

Second, you have no way to know if it will shudder UNLESS your a ford tech that has removed many clutches and know how "bad" ones look. Otherwise your taking a huge gamble doing it this way. The day i get shuddering back is the day i go back to my mean grumpy self on here lol.

Do you have high miles? Did ford deny you new clutches so you thought of just swapping trans?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
OP mentioned being denied due to Salvage title in another thread. 55k miles so power train would apply still IF not salvage titled.

I've seen that they DO honor the 14M02 TCM warranty extension for all, don't remember hearing of the 14M01 for clutches/seals programming honored offhand.

Initial touch points DO have to be set with Ford licensed IDS computer for new clutches, TCM stays with the trans but it DOES communicate with the ECU and the pair may need programming after a swap.

·
Registered
497 Posts
OP mentioned being denied due to Salvage title in another thread. 55k miles so power train would apply still IF not salvage titled.

I've seen that they DO honor the 14M02 TCM warranty extension for all, don't remember hearing of the 14M01 for clutches/seals programming honored offhand.

Initial touch points DO have to be set with Ford licensed IDS computer for new clutches, TCM stays with the trans but it DOES communicate with the ECU and the pair may need programming after a swap.
I just seen that he has a salvage title which changes things greatly. He has many post in many threads with bits and pieces to his issue. [V] Really hope he can get this fixed without much money because buying a "new" car and feeling the shudder feels like a huge waste of money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts