Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow mk3 owners! I'm french so i'll try to do my best [cheers]

Me and my wife have a nice little mk3 focus, se with sport package (16'' oem wheels/215/55/r16).

Here's my question, could i put some 185 55 r16 on the oem wheels? We really don't need that much patch contact, especially me considering i've had pretty much..more or less [:p].. the same size of tires when i had 5.0's with much more torque.

I'm really not good mechanically speaking and size-wise! I must say the main concern is we want to avoid a stretched-tire look that we see with some lowered cars..It doesnt need to look beefy but you know what i mean..? A normal look for a normal car!

Thanks in advance, i'll be back soon and frankly i'd appreciate a good answer so darn much because i tried digging around and i am not landing any precise answer.

I'm kind of wondering if a member did it maybe with the same wheels? Pictures too..? [grinking]

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
I don't think you can go less than 2 sizes (195/55 or 60/16). Im not 100% but I will look into to this and try to get back [idea] hmmmmm..

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved this to the Wheels & Tires section, where more folks with a tire size calculator hang out.

You'll need a 'taller' profile tire to match the narrower width to keep it from being too small an overall diameter. 185/65-15 might do it, checking exact diameters of each is the only way to be sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks god and sailor.

I incorrectly thought that only the width changed and nothing else but i just readed about the aspect ratio. God damn..now i'm really not sure lol.

As i'm reading on tirerack, some people downsize from lets say 205/60/r16 to 205/55/r16. Why not 195/60/r16..? Is there 2 ways of doing this? either by downsizing tire width OR downsizing the aspect ratio?

Im talking about the comments down below http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/rudys-tire-tips/winter-wheels-winter-tires-for-your-vehicle-made-easy

In the comments the tirerack guy even says that a taller tire would help? I just want something less wide, not shorter, not taller..? Im lost lol

Btw guys, if you need some help for anything in Quebec, i can help if you have trouble with french. Just send me a pm

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
195/60/16 would be the correct size. So the speedometer is correct. The 'revolutions per mile' of a 195/60/16 is perfect as a replacement (so the speedometer is correct.
185/60/16 would also be decently close. Curious NO tire at all is for sale on Tire Rack at the 185/60/16 size.
Several 195/60/16 are available.
(I do not know the tire availability in Quebec)

The 195 would be a good compromise in tire size.. narrow and save gasoline. but not too narrow...

And 60 aspect ratio is fine. nearly all tires used to be 60 aspect. But now 50 is the standard

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
There you go, Elizabeth looked up the actual size that would work.

Metric sizing makes MUCH more sense than the old American letter sizes (at least it means something in itself).

Still not the easiest to figure as sizes can vary a bit even when described with the same numbers.

Width is supposed to be "section width" across the sidewall of the tire, that varies with the rim width used though so it may be different on your car.

Tread width isn't measured at all, so that can vary a lot between different tires of the same size.

Then for height, it's measured by "aspect ratio" which is a percentage of height vs. width. (50 series is 50% as high as it's wide at the shoulder)

SO, any time you change the width number you have to change the height ratio JUST to maintain the exact same height of the tire in actual measurement.

It would be easy if size was measured by tread width & actual height from tread to bead edge, not NEARLY that simple.

Clear as Mud?

Tx for the translation offer BTW, high school french just won't do for actual use.

·
Registered
414 Posts
And here I thought everyone with a car had www.rimsntires.com bookmarked in their browsers. Give it a try as playing with the sizes helps to visualize how things change and definitely helped me understand sizes better. They show the tire in a wheel too so you can get an idea of how much bulge or stretch you will get with each size tire. http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I will go with the 195/60R16 that's pretty much the same tire you have now, the speedometer measure should be the same (speed reader)

·
Registered
459 Posts
From a handling perspective, I think these cars are under-tired at 215. I'd worry about the loss of grip on a 195, from a "safety" perspective (no, I don't think you'll crash & burn, but that heavy nose on skinny tires might make it interesting).

·
Registered
414 Posts
From a handling perspective, I think these cars are under-tired at 215. I'd worry about the loss of grip on a 195, from a "safety" perspective (no, I don't think you'll crash & burn, but that heavy nose on skinny tires might make it interesting).
Stock tire size on a MK1 Focus is 195, are the MK3's that much heavier that they need the extra 20mm??

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If tire width was the only factor in load capacity, trucks would run on full width treads....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Not so much load as handling characteristics. When I went from 215's to 235's, to me the car handled much more capably and predictably. I would think 20mm less width would have the inverse of that "feel".

I would be uncomfortable with that much less grip, likely some loss in braking efficiency too. But, one only need adjust their driving accordingly.

The old GM 80's G-bodies were probably 3k/lbs and they ran on 195/75s, so it's not "unsafe" (poor choice of words on my part), but I can say with a high degree of certainty that my 3k/lb Focus handles worlds better than those 3k/lb G-bodies.

And I prefer the handling.

Others have different priorities. It's all good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
195/60/16 would be the correct size. So the speedometer is correct. The 'revolutions per mile' of a 195/60/16 is perfect as a replacement (so the speedometer is correct.
185/60/16 would also be decently close. Curious NO tire at all is for sale on Tire Rack at the 185/60/16 size.
Several 195/60/16 are available.
(I do not know the tire availability in Quebec)

The 195 would be a good compromise in tire size.. narrow and save gasoline. but not too narrow...

And 60 aspect ratio is fine. nearly all tires used to be 60 aspect. But now 50 is the standard
Thanks Elizabeth

There you go, Elizabeth looked up the actual size that would work.

Metric sizing makes MUCH more sense than the old American letter sizes (at least it means something in itself).

Still not the easiest to figure as sizes can vary a bit even when described with the same numbers.

Width is supposed to be "section width" across the sidewall of the tire, that varies with the rim width used though so it may be different on your car.

Tread width isn't measured at all, so that can vary a lot between different tires of the same size.

Then for height, it's measured by "aspect ratio" which is a percentage of height vs. width. (50 series is 50% as high as it's wide at the shoulder)

SO, any time you change the width number you have to change the height ratio JUST to maintain the exact same height of the tire in actual measurement.

It would be easy if size was measured by tread width & actual height from tread to bead edge, not NEARLY that simple.

Clear as Mud?

Tx for the translation offer BTW, high school french just won't do for actual use.
Hehe yeah i searched for the formula so i can learn how to calculate it next time. I have difficulties with mathematics its..pretty incredible and i sometimes wonder if its not discalculia..! Thanks once again tho the answers are perfect.

As for my offer i also meant helping out in case someone wants to know which websites are good for searching used cars etc. or a member of FF gets scammed and needs to investigate/search for co.'s/individuals.

As for high school french and actual use, i dont understand?

And here I thought everyone with a car had www.rimsntires.com bookmarked in their browsers. Give it a try as playing with the sizes helps to visualize how things change and definitely helped me understand sizes better. They show the tire in a wheel too so you can get an idea of how much bulge or stretch you will get with each size tire. http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Thanks i'll bookmark that for sure and give it a read

I will go with the 195/60R16 that's pretty much the same tire you have now, the speedometer measure should be the same (speed reader)

Sounds right and yes regarding the speedometer it sure is important, it absolutely needs to remain precise. I never really thought about those things you know? I used to swap tires on my downhill bike and simply go on. This is totally different..[wrenchin]

Tell me about it, i felt a slight loss of traction on my front drivers side going on an off ramp at moderate/high speed last week at the middle of the apex. You've awaken my performance-conscious side lol.. I'll check the price difference just for fun and while i'm there, just for fun....i'll check the price difference for 215/225. I guess i'd have to downsize the aspect ratio for a wider tire...? It happened 2 times this summer and the [:)][:)][:)][:)]$%? barely squeal before giving out.

Stock tire size on a MK1 Focus is 195, are the MK3's that much heavier that they need the extra 20mm??
Maybe they wanted to get better performance rating i dont know. A softer compound could also do it while remaining more narrow but then a wider sportier-look might of been what they were after :p[dunno]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
High School French = classroom experience only in public school

It was better than nothing the few times I've been in Quebec, living near the Border in College & listening to CHOM on the radio helped as well.

I wouldn't even try to use it for anything important now, too long since I've heard/seen it except in a few literary references.

Wonder how long it would take to actually become fluent if up there & immersed in the language.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts