Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So starting about two weeks ago, my ZX5 would occasionally slip from the 4th gear whenever I drive around 60 mph. The engine light would flash on, the car would rev and I'd have to take my foot off the gas until the car dropped in speed (usually took around 5 seconds). The light would then turn off, and I could keep driving.

We took the car to a shop, and they tried to check the codes but for some reason NONE were found! (this car was bought used four years ago, the old owner must have done something to them). After doing some research, it seems that a lot of people have transmission problems with the Focus, particularly with their solenoids.

The shop is now offering to replace them, I'd just be interested in hearing what others think.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
It sounds like the Solenoids. It is also a VERY easy job to do on your own. One wrench (5/16) and a small investment in time.

The part is like $60 from Ford, but you can get it cheaper on Amazon, if you're willing to wait.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
fabz7 Yes this has been reported a few times. You also need to change the transmission fluid and filter as part of standard maintenance so that needs to be done along with this repair. Get a price from your shop then call one or two other places to compare.

It sounds like the Solenoids. It is also a VERY easy job to do on your own. One wrench (5/16) and a small investment in time.

The part is like $60 from Ford, but you can get it cheaper on Amazon, if you're willing to wait.
Considering the OP mentions there were no codes and the original owner must have done something to them I suggest a shop handles this one.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Considering the OP mentions there were no codes and the original owner must have done something to them I suggest a shop handles this one.
In order to throw a code it has to read an error on the solenoids three times. So, it is possible that the issue is just not throwing codes because it isn't happening frequently enough. I know that I turned off overdrive when I was having the same issue and it prevented the tranny from falling out of gear, but also kept it from throwing codes.

Being as the solenoids are not very complex parts, I doubt there is much modification a previous owner could have done. This doesn't mean that it is impossible, but I'd rate it as unlikely.

With a shop charging in the range of $600 to fix it, in my area, the savings would be worth rolling up the sleeves to take a look at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allright, thanks for advice! Still waiting for the shop to get back to me with their price...however I did find a nice step-by-step thread which details how to replace a solenoid. I'm assuming solenoid A is most likely the one to replace(?)

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Yep. Solenoid A is overdrive. I replaced A&B while I had the pan off, but that might have been overkill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts