Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey guys,

Just so everyones on the same page i own an 04 SVT, only mod is a VCT chip set to highway.

So a few days ago some scion was toying with me on the freeway, i [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*dropped from 5th into 4th... but i got lost in the gears and accidently dropped into 2nd [:0] As i saw the rev limiter zoom towards 8000 and felt the car slowing down tremendously, i quickly pushed the clutch in to disengage just in time for the rev limiter to shut everything down. My engine light went on so i slowly coasted to the side of the road and stopped, but as i slowed the engine light went off. Under the hood id heard no sounds ticks or smell.

Its been a week, I havent had any problems since, but when im accelerating really hard or accelerating up hills past 2nd i can faintly hear a sound that can only be described as a tin rattling knocking sound. I cant hear the sound in the cabin, only when i open my window and listen carefully. Im doubtful its the classic Header ting that im hearing but i could be wrong.

Am I in the clear? Am i F#$%ed?

I have a 75,000 mile power train warrenty, if anything is wrong will this cover me?

I would GREATLY appreciate help with this.[:(]

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
You are probably fine. Perhaps the sound you are hearing is some small detonation and only because you are listening too close :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
oh kay wait! classic header rattle? Ive been hearing a rattle and everytime i look for whats making the noise i cant find it. It is an 03 svt focus(all stock) do you think that is what this is?

·
Registered
783 Posts
clutch probably took a beating but i think you may still be ok as long as u dont do that again. How is it getting in and out of gear?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had a problem or two since but i dont know if its chance or effect. I didnt shift deep enough into 2nd from first once and another time i went from 4th to 3rd instead of into 5th (not at high speed). Im not shitty at shifting mind you, im just used to a grandma easy shift from the previous stock focus ZX3 i owned.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Edit due to no racing references on public highways.

·
Registered
18 Posts
noise

oh kay wait! classic header rattle? Ive been hearing a rattle and everytime i look for whats making the noise i cant find it. It is an 03 svt focus(all stock) do you think that is what this is?
bro.. i have a 2003 svt as well and i had been hearing a tinny sound from the engine/muffler and couldnt find the problem. The sound was really only heard under a load, and once i examined under the car, i thought it was the cat mounting brackets but it was actually the HEAT SHIELD for the muffler. not the lower one after the cat but the upper heat shield by the exh. manifold. so i had it welded tight.

CHECK THAT, and you might find the problem. If not, examine the mounting brackets for the cat. there are a few threads which explain this and have photos...

Hope this helps man. I only share because I had the problem and it made the car sound like a P O S. hope you find the problem soon bro...

·
Registered
784 Posts
i had a noise coming from the flex pipe, a hose clamp fixed the problem

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
I can certainly see an exhaust joint issue coming from this as I am sure the motor flexed ALOT. I did this once on the drag strip except it was 4th to 3rd, made a hell of alot of noise but was fine.

·
Registered
278 Posts
damn man it sounds like u need to learn how to drive a stick. im sure it is fine ur probably just listening too much. i do that from time to time with my 07 foci.

·
Registered
400 Posts
damn man it sounds like u need to learn how to drive a stick. im sure it is fine ur probably just listening too much. i do that from time to time with my 07 foci.
No need to tell him how to drive HIS car. Its a mistake, honestly i have done somewhat the same in another car, caught it fast, pushed in clutch, no problems. Won't ever do it again... At least he is here asking questions now....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey guys,

Just so everyones on the same page i own an 04 SVT, only mod is a VCT chip set to highway.

So a few days ago some scion was toying with me on the freeway, i [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*dropped from 5th into 4th... but i got lost in the gears and accidently dropped into 2nd [:0] As i saw the rev limiter zoom towards 8000 and felt the car slowing down tremendously, i quickly pushed the clutch in to disengage just in time for the rev limiter to shut everything down. My engine light went on so i slowly coasted to the side of the road and stopped, but as i slowed the engine light went off. Under the hood id heard no sounds ticks or smell.

Its been a week, I havent had any problems since, but when im accelerating really hard or accelerating up hills past 2nd i can faintly hear a sound that can only be described as a tin rattling knocking sound. I cant hear the sound in the cabin, only when i open my window and listen carefully. Im doubtful its the classic Header ting that im hearing but i could be wrong.

Am I in the clear? Am i F#$%ed?

I have a 75,000 mile power train warrenty, if anything is wrong will this cover me?

I would GREATLY appreciate help with this.[:(]
Alright so here is the low down on what i know about something like this. One of the more severe problems you would have after soemthing like this happening is a vavle train one. Our SVT's are made to handle more revs than most any other focus. However 8 Gs is pushin it haha.. But the valve train is good in them anyway, if you're hearing a constant noise or tick, that might be some vavle lash problems.

lash is the gap between say rocker arm and valve or something and that nature.

however, anyone that knows more correct me if im wrong, if you had a valve problem from hitting 8 Gs it would demolish your engine you would float valves and have valve to piston clash, I.E. nothing left. So you would know if it was that.

as for the clutch thought, if it were you were you should feel that in high gears like 5 and 6 and your engine would rev more than your car were accelerating if that makes sense. So i don't think its that.

The final thing i have to say about it is once something like that happens, all of us are more in tune to the cars every noise, shimmer, shake, rattle, or stumble so i think you have no problems personally but if you are worried take it to a dealer and tell them you hear a noise that sounds like its coming from.....whereever you hear it.......and they will track it down.

As for your Check Engine Light, that, as someone mentioned, probably picked up some detonation or knock... no worries...again if you're worried take it to a dealer and have the Past or History codes pulled....

Oh and the transmission, i think thats fine but i really honestly don't know much about them. in our cars they are crazy from germany and stuff so yeah but someone i'm sure does and can give you more say....

Andrew

hope i helped you some....

·
Registered
191 Posts
i did it when i got my car on crazy night coming home from very cloudy union meeting. decided to take on a z28 got him til i down shifted 5-2 and the car shut down start back up and haven't had any probs related to that incident since maybe a little sloppiness in the shifter but it might just be the car. no long term bad effects so just relax

·
Registered
400 Posts
yeah yeah the other thing you have to undstand, and you may have seen this on here before, is that our cars are "high performance" vehicles, there are going to be little ticks and clicks every once in a while. Most of the time its nothing to worry about but if its constant and effecting your performance, then you should get it looked at by a technician with the correct tools ya know. either way, seems like your car is fine, congrats and good luck in the future....

Andrew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts