Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -- I used USB to connect my iPod to SYNC/MFT earlier today for the first time. (Just took delivery of the car on Monday). Everything works great. In fact, I've been fortunate not to experience any of the issues discussed on this forum. I do have a question,though -- I thought that once the music was indexed, etc., it "remained" on the car's computer and there was no need to connect the media device after that. Am I mistaken or am I missing a step along the way?

·
Registered
781 Posts
well you're half right..

the car will not download music from your ipod, phone, or mp3 player.

what it will do is copy into the system any CD's you put in the CD player. i believe the total user storage is about 10gigs. i honestly have never used this feature since i keep my music on my ipod.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Indexing just means that it went through your songs and organized them in a way where the system can display song title/artist and execute your voice commands, ie. play artist XXXX (that's not exactly what it does, but a basic description).

It doesn't actually download and store the songs on the system. MFT only has 2 Gb of internal memory, so that would limit the amount of music you could have stored. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The focus does not have a hard drive to store the music on. My Acura does, but the music must come from a retail CD for it to be stored, not an Ipod or USB drive.

You will need to attached your Ipod.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The focus does not have a hard drive to store the music on. My Acura does, but the music must come from a retail CD for it to be stored, not an Ipod or USB drive.

You will need to attached your Ipod.
uh. the ford focus with MFT does indeed have a hard drive and will rip and store your cd's.

please see:

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/features/entertainment/

Integrated hard drive for music and photo storage
With 10GB of storage, SYNC® with the available hard drive-based Navigation System has more than enough room for all your needs including up to 2,400 songs.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
well you're half right..

what it will do is copy into the system any CD's you put in the CD player. i believe the total user storage is about 10gigs. i honestly have never used this feature since i keep my music on my ipod.
I do remember reading that the CD player could be used as a data transfer device but I guess I didn't fully process the info when I read it. Didn't realize it would download music I guess. Any idea (like you I have been using my iPod exclusively for music) if it downloads native files or converts and compresses them? I'm assuming with the number of songs the link you threw in says it holds it does convert them. Happy with the setup I have going right now but just more curious than anything. Maybe it will give me something to go play around with this weekend. Wondering now, besides the compression issue, if it just fills up to space full or if it works on a "newest in, oldest out" cycle. Can file format be set? Hmmm.

If you know, or anyone else out there that has played around knows, I'd be interested in hearing.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
EDIT: Nvm...

·
Registered
882 Posts
well you're half right..

Err no it doesn't do that at all.

The Focus MyFord Touch system doesn't download music to the radio at all. Not from a CD, not from an iPod, and not from any other source. The Edge/Flex can do it, but nothing else can.

·
Registered
781 Posts
hmm. my salesman led me to believe it would.

i do know there's some storage. sirius will buffer 30 minutes for you while listening to it.

has anyone actually tried to load up a cd? i haven't and I'm out of town for a few days so i can't try it until i return.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

i do know there's some storage. sirius will buffer 30 minutes for you while listening to it.

has anyone actually tried to load up a cd? i haven't and I'm out of town for a few days so i can't try it until i return.

There is no storage for any source.
The Sirius buffer uses RAM (not a hard drive or flash memory).

Salesmen say the darndest things.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
My saleman said the same thing and 10gb is the number he threw at me back in June when I was ordering. Of course, he sells all models of Fords so he may have just been basing this on what he knew of other models as the 2012 was so new to them. While waiting for the car and spending time on this forum I came to believe that he was not correct.

However I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is any onboard storage. Judging by the fact that Nav takes so long to load upon startup I'm assuming that it is buffering through RAM. Quite a while to load but so responsive once it is loaded that I don't think it can be running straight off of the SD card. What about indexing/media commands for music media? The fact that these are not built every time I start the car leads to believe there is some flash memory there. Anyone know the answer to this? Just curious more than anything else.

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is no storage for any source.
The Sirius buffer uses RAM (not a hard drive or flash memory).

Salesmen say the darndest things.
It does have flash memory, but not much. Here are the specs from syncmyride.com

Processor, Memory, and Storage

Freescale i.MX51 SOC

Core CPU: ARM Cortex A8 @ 600 mHz

2D/3D graphics controller

512MB RAM

2GB NAND flash memory

·
Registered
291 Posts

Freescale i.MX51 SOC

512MB RAM

2GB NAND flash memory

there's also a separate module for the NAV system, the GPSM, that interfaces with the AIPM

·
Registered
882 Posts

Maybe you shouldn't just believe what the salesman says and then tell people that have actually tried it they're wrong.

I'll repeat a synopsis of my previous post...there is *NO* hard-drive storage built into this system. 2 cars in the Ford lineup have them, some Flexes and some Edges, and even those will no longer have the same functionality. It's not possible.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Fusion also has/had a 10GB hard drive on some models. I had one in my last car, but I never once bothered to load any music on it since I don't even use CDs. I find it's much easier to carry an 80GB iPod or a USB stick loaded with music than to painstakingly rip CDs one-at-a-time to a 10GB hard drive.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

Freescale i.MX51 SOC

512MB RAM

2GB NAND flash memory
The flash memory is only for program storage (i.e. the OS and all applications).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts