Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed platinum plugs on my focus and i think it is slower now...i have a friend with a probe that used the same kind and said his car ran like shit so he went back to the copper ones...is this accurate or do i just think it is slower....is it possible for my car to be slower with these plugs???

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
autolite double plats are your best bet. if you're running the bosch, there's your problem. take 'em out.

Mike

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
there is a difference in brands.. don't ask me why.. champion plugs have never run well in fords. in theory .. they should all work good. but go with the autolites.. or motorcraft. historicly, these have worked best in Ford engines

·
Registered
894 Posts
Should have just kept your stock plugs.........I've learned that your stock Motorcraft is the best that you can use.............once you start changing plugs then you run into what zx3foci2000 ran into........honestly plugs aren't going to give you noticable gains might make it run a little cleaner, but they will make it run like crap if you get the wrong ones........

·
Registered
281 Posts
Motorcraft Double Plats are what come stock in the Zetec isn't it? Or is it the Motorcraft Firewire platinums (Or whatever they call them.)

BTW how do you guys know he used a different brand? Maybe he didn't?

·
Registered
281 Posts
pull out the plugs and check them out. make sure they are the correct ones for the car and the correct gap, length, etc. The gap is suppose to be .51 for the Zetec.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
yeah, but i seriously doubt the .01 difference in gao is makig a difference.

what P/N did they give you? APP5344 or APP5364? both come up in my computer at work as being suitable for the zetec, but i've pulled both and they're obviously different (the 5364 is a little longer). don't know which one you should technically use in the car, but this may be your problem.

Mike

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
another big problem is that people handle the plugs from manufacture to the pimply little kid behind the counter. Plugs are very fragile, and if dropped, they will crack the ceramic insulation and make the plug worthless. with todays high power spark, it makes the condition alot worse than it used to be

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I'll agree with vanace on the somewhat fragile nature of plugs. I really like platinum plugs and sometimes changing brands will cause some problems, I do not know why but I put platinum plugs in everything I own and the old briggs and stratten does not like them, makes no sense but it runs better with the copper plugs

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
vanace said:
another big problem is that people handle the plugs from manufacture to the pimply little kid behind the counter.

im not knockin your vocab partnar but whats a "pimply" little kid???
we don't use that work in chicago. we use pimpin, or pimp. pimply that must mean something like careless little biotches where your at. right? [thumb]

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
hey, i ain't crater-faced! (seriously, though, we are pretty rough with sprak plugs when putting up stock. always check out the plugs before you walk out the door. check for cracks in the ceramic)

BTW, autolites work so well in fords bc autolites used to be OEM. all that motorcraft did was buy the plugs from allied signal (parent company of autolite), and slap "motorcraft" on them. matter of fact, motorcraft might still be doing this. not sure, though.

Mike

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Pimply, as in, with pimples on his youthful visage, thus denoting a person who is diminutive in years as compared to the societal norm...there did that help?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
thanks for bustin it down for me playa i appreciate that! : )
ex. the pimply d00d at bugerking didn't give me back my right change haaha so i had to pull his pimply azz threw the little window and bust the beat box down on his punk azz. crystal clear now viney!

·
Registered
123 Posts
im using ngk platinum plugs with ford racing wires and it gave me a somewhat of a diff but im also using 89 octane which i guess might help as opposed to usin the lower octane.but it wasnt a power gain feeling just a little smoother through the power band is what it felt like to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts