Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm about to go start a double-DIN install on my SVT. I know there is a guy out there that used an Explorer kit to fill the gaps on the side of the deck after trimming the hole in the dash wider to fit it. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. However, I found this kit. It looks like I could trim it to fit, and then just use the Pioneer trim ring for the AVIC-series units to blend it to the dash (it's flexible enough for the contour of the dash...I think).....thoughts?

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
unless you fiberglass it will never turn out looking right...

the guy who used the explorer kit did an OK job, but itstill looked like crap...

if you can dig up a picture of his install, look at the edges and they dont match up with the dash contour...

fiberglass, or nothing... only option in my book

·
Banned
263 Posts
use metra kit# 95-5812, cut hole, install trim kit. a little bondo to smooth it in sand and spray paint. shouldnt take more than an hour or so(minus paint dry time)

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yup i agree with matt 100 percent. It will take a shit ton of work and if you don't take that time to do the work it will look like crap. But go for it if it's something you really want to do.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I jumped in and started the install. This is going to be a sort of stretched out project, as I don't have a lot of free time for my car right now. However, I've got the unit sitting int he dash and wired up, but it's a serious work in process right now.

I did see all of the pictures of double din (or two single dins, as a few were). I'm actually not going to end up using an install kit at all. Also, I'll keep this first thread up to date with any progress....but here's what I've done for now.

First thing I did was get the old kit out and take a look at the actual hole. There were two lips on the top and the bottom that had to get dremelled off. After that I did a quick test fit...it was still nowhere near the right size. The flasher switch hangs down too far to allow the D3 to slide in. The next step was to take the trim piece off and get the switch out to try and trim it down. This picture shows the panel off and you can also see what was dremelled away.

The flasher switch is held in by two phillips screws. Here's the switch itself. The top piece of plastic is what has to go. Here's the before/after dremel shots.

Center panel back in. All in all, there wasn't much dremel work required to get the whole big enough. The 1.8 DIN hole is just barely too small to fit the D3, and probably most other doube dins.

You can see it's a snug fit. After a few more test fits and more dremelling (especially in the corners) it finally fits (height wise). Here's a few shots of it as is.

The plan from here is to get the nav-traffic box mounted in the glove box, along with the iPod cable. Then the GPS/nav-traffic antennas need to be hidden somewhere. As for the gaps on the side (because I know it looks ehhhhh for now), I'm going to try to get a trim ring for it. I know Pioneer has one that is flexible enough to contour to the dash and hopefully cover the holes. If I'm not happy with how that looks, I plan to create two Bondo'd strips where the holes are, sand the whole panel and paint it all. Also, as for mounting (right now it's just hanging there), I was talking to an installer at work, and he suggested getting some strips of metal, bending it to hit the side mounting hole on the D3 and then the other side mounted to the dash support. I was going to do one on each side, and then something holding the back up as well.

I don't know when I'll get the time to go at this again, but I think it should turn out pretty clean when it's done.

·
Banned
263 Posts
it is stupid easy, people on here in a couple threads make it sound sooo difficult. if you use a 95-5812 kit cut to fit throw a little bondo in sand and paint. it fits flush and nice in under a hour for me. first timers maybe two. by the way excellent choice in a source unit.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I've loved the D3 for a while. I got it from work for $295. Gotta love floor displays that aren't current any more. Oh, and I got the nav-traffic box to go with it for another $10. I couldn't say no. It seems to even respond faster than the Pioneer F90bt that replaced it. That thing takes FOREVER to do anything.

·
Banned
263 Posts
hah yea being a pioneer man i always tried to have a convo with the customer when i was showing them how it worked so they wouldnt notice the delay lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
nice work!!!!!!! do have any pics of how you wired up things in the back.....did you have th audiophile system before with sub? and if so how did you wire it up again?.....once again looks awesome

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^It had the audiophile. The sub/amp box is still in the hatch (for now), it's just not being used. The audiophile stuff has all been replaced by Infinity Kappa 5x7's, a Kappa Perfect 12vq and a Reference six channel amp. As far as wiring I've got the rca's running to the amp in the hatch and then new speaker wire coming from the amp to all the speakers.

I just can't wait to get the install looking a bit more polished.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, yeah. It's nowhere near done. I just threw it in last night to get music back in my car (sold what was in there and shipped it yesterday). I can't stand driving without tunes. For now it'll have to do. Between college and work, I don't have a lot of free time (especially free time near a garage with a a decent tool setup). It'll be sitting like this till at least next Thursday, as Thursday afternoons are really my only solid chunk of free time.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
That's exactly what I want to do with my car but I don't really want to spend as much as I'll have to to get a nice double din indash, and I hate the look of flip-outs. But for less than $300 bucks I'd have a hard time saying no too! Keep us updated

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
yeah i will be doing this to my car here soon....im gonna look for a new dash bezel though and work on that so i will still have the factory one since im gonna do a lil more glass work.....might get rid of the cig adapter and ashtray for a cleaner look

1 - 20 of 32 Posts