Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that according to Crutchfield and others that the Double DIN's do not fit the older models. Has anyone been able to fit one in a 2004 or below? Is it only the size that is a problem?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
When I searched this, I saw examples of folks who cut their dash a bit to make double din fit, the size looked REAL close, but they had to cut a Squared hole all the way around to do it...
wasn't too attractive as was, though you could clean up the look with some rubber edge molding or whatever you like...
The poster commented he wanted to improve the look - the info is good though - at least you know what you're getting into.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It will fit, needs a decent bit of trimming and fiberglass work to make it good as in no gaps, if your going to spend the money on a Double Din then do the bezel piece correctly [thumb]

·
Random Guy #31
1,861 Posts
if your going to cut it and fiberglass a new surround you may want to buy a back radio surround just in case you dont like the way it comes out. there are always a few on sale every now and then

·
FF God of South FL
2,417 Posts
if your going to cut it and fiberglass a new surround you may want to buy a back radio surround just in case you dont like the way it comes out. there are always a few on sale every now and then
Agreed dont chance messing up your only surround

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Is the kit for a double din, or two single dins? I would imagine you would still have to cut the upper and lower tabs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This Metra breakthrough is fantastic! I've been planning for a while now on how I would hack and cut my dash up to make a big touchscreen fit. If this makes it a drop-in job I may be a little more motivated about actually upgrading my stereo.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Well, I ordered one. I ordered a new headunit and I'll buy a single din EQ. The description said it would fit either double din or two single dins. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't tell you about the new metra kit, but I had an escape hybrid with the same sized radio as my SVT. I didn't have to touch the faceplate when I put in my double din, but I did have to trim a little off the top and bottom of the actual mount. When I sold that car, the factory deck locked right back in place like I never did anything to it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Looks like somebody may have beat everyone to it, I just found this on another site:

In my opinion it looks like absolute ass as far as fitment. I thought it would as the way the dash piece curves. I'd still rather do fiberglass and remold it, which I will be doing in my '03 sometime this summer.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
^^ That's not the Metra kit. I'm looking at my Double-Din kit right now and it most definitely is curved to match the contour of the radio surround.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.