Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Mid Nifght madness game for ps2 and there is a part in the game where the racer mentions that I probaly dont know about double cluthching! Well I dont, how do you do it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
focus said:
Not another one. [rolleyes] Comepletely ignore that phrase anywhere you come across it.
I agree with focus here! The correct term for double clutching is only used in a vehicle like an 18 Wheeler, or something else that has unsync'd gears. It would only slow you down on most vehicles.

Unless the Fast and the Furious generation took the old term and applied it to a different technique. I do remember Vin saying something like, "You are probably granny shifting and not double clutching like you should"!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah.........I was almost thinking that line he threw out had more to do with heel-n-toe'ing it......not double clutching (see my 1947 army surplus dump truck for example :). Then again, I'm still getting therapy after being forced to watch it and I'm told those recurring dreams of the Hemi Charger with the fake blower on the hood will go away soon with my nervous twitch............lol

-Later

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hehe, I groaned and squirmed in my seat when Vin blurted that out. My wife looked at me puzzled, and I tried to explain the diff between a modern day stick-shift and a Peterbuilt. For those that don't know any better, you can really mess them up when you tell them that big trucks, like 18-wheelers, don't even use the clutch after 2nd or 3rd gear, they just rev-match and ram it home. [:)]

Like you said, the wannabe's have mixed up double-clutching with heel-toe... thanks to those that think F&F is a movie "made by street racers, for street racers!" [;)]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rsdnt-Evle said:
Hehe, I groaned and squirmed in my seat when Vin blurted that out. My wife looked at me puzzled, and I tried to explain the diff between a modern day stick-shift and a Peterbuilt. For those that don't know any better, you can really mess them up when you tell them that big trucks, like 18-wheelers, don't even use the clutch after 2nd or 3rd gear, they just rev-match and ram it home. [:)]

Like you said, the wannabe's have mixed up double-clutching with heel-toe... thanks to those that think F&F is a movie "made by street racers, for street racers!" [;)]
I don't think ram it home is really the right term. When I floated my Freightliner, it was actually smoother then when I double clutched.

And I can float a car tranmission too, but I really hate getting that occasional grind when it's my vehicle, that I'll have to repair. But when it was a company truck, screw it, grind em' till you find em'.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Not another one. Comepletely ignore that phrase anywhere you come across it.
Most intelligent thing ever posted on this board. Also, you double clutch a 18 wheeler, I never use clutch unless I come to a dead stop, or atek off from a dead stop

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
"Granny shifting, not double clutchen like you should...." "Now me and the mad scientist have got to rip apart the block and replace the pistons rings you fried......" "Almost had me?....." "Ask any real racer here.....winning is winning....."

[poke] [duh] [slap] [boxface] [chair] [hatchet] [scream] I hear the voices again!!!!!!!

[paranoid] I remember now, the theater after the 1st Fast and Furious ended, being led back to my car......sitting in the parking lot next to my car laughing at all the F&F wannabe's reving their motors, trying to make a wheel......but what I remember most was the grinding!!!! I hear it now, the horrible grinding from all the transmissions

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
That must have been sweet!! I love crap like that!!

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
HONDAHATER said:
I can shift my car into 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th with no clutch at all...
I believe they call this Speed Shifting.
Basically shift gears at high RPM's. Not sure what the optimum RPM is to shift but I did it in my Zx2 but having tried it in my Zx3.

FYI-
Here an article on Manual Transmission Basics

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
everyone thinks about double clutching from "Granny shifting not double clutching like your should" lol. ok i just had to say that.

SVT2003KOR - what u should do it get it u to around 3k and cradle it off if u do this right u'll ge ta little chirp and ur all good. After that

1st-2nd - 6500k
2nd-3rd - 6000k
3rd-4th - 6000k

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jonny Bolt said:
I used to speed shift my RM125 :) 2 stroke.
Yeah, bikes or sequential transmissions are easy. I still speed shift my street bike for upshifting, especially when trying to keep the front wheel in the air while shifting[:D]. Don't like doing it for downshifting though!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree! PLEASE DELETE THIS LAME, HORRIBLE, STUPID, REDICULOUS, HORRIBLE HORRIBLE RICEBURNING POST! please god make this part of the hard drive crash or something!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Dude, I bet if a moderator came in here and deleted all but one of the "double clutching" and "SVT vs ZX3" posts this board would load 10 times as fast.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wait a second. In Mexico we use the term double-clutch and heel-toe very oftern for us road racing fanatics and racers.

For us (maybe different from the US) double clutch means to rev a little bit the car with the clutch inside in the moment you're downshifting before a closed turn in the track or highway. This way when the lower gear enters it goes freely in the lower gear, so you don't "nose-drop" the car, nor change the center of gravity so harsh in the moment yo enter the corner. This allows you to enter in a much more balanced way to the turn, and further lower your track times.

Every pilot uses that term over here, and uses it, including me[thumb] For turbos, son't doing this may result in blowing the engine while in the track.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts