Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering has anyone wandered out of hte box on brake fluid... meaning trying new fluids....

if so please supply the kidn of fluids and your input....

-----

im also looking at the Golden Spectro DOT 4 Disc Brake Fluid.... has anyone had history with this 1 at all?

-Bunna

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depends on what you are looking to do with the car, but for track days I'd recommend Ate Blue to handle the heat.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
if you are cheap go with the valvoline synthetic

if you arent cheap go with ATE superblue/TYP200

if you are rich go with motul

ive used superblue and the synthetic valvoline, there is a noticabale difference between the two.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I put ATE in the focus almost 2 years ago along with ss brake hoses and it made a BIG difference. I definitely wasn't disappointed. You don't really need more than one can from what I recall, so it's justifiable.

Only thing I've heard about the ATE is that it attracts water more readily than some of the other more conventional brands (this is only what I have heard!)

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
if racing you should be changing out your brake fluid regularly anyway so water shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
383 Posts
you dont want synthetic brake fluid for street use. It does not absorb water. Regular brake fluid absorbs water inside itself. Water by itself is compressible. You dont want your brake fluid compressible because then it cant do its job. Regular brake fluid "suspends" water so the fluid isnt compressible. So when you push on the brake pedal the fluid moves the caliper piston and doesnt compress.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
again if you change it out often enough or when you start to feel a squish then using synthetic is not a problem.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
changing out the brake fuild this time wouldn't even put me at a years mark. since my last replacement. the only reason why im doing this new change is that my master cylinder is going. so im gunna be doing the fluids...

as for the fluid itself, i think im going to be using the motul.... or thje ATE amber

1 - 8 of 8 Posts