Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my son a 2012 Focus and found out that the front door can be opened from the inside while the car is moving, even above 10 mph, when the door lock indicator on the dash is on. Took the car in for service and they called Ford and thIs is as designed. The rear doors will open after two pulls unless the child locks are on. Took an demo out to prove it happened on another Focus. [:)] Is this some new safety feature where no one can be lock inside car no matter what? [:)]Anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I wouldn't say "safety feature," but rather just the design philosophy. It's just a feature that opening the doors from the inside actually opens the doors (without having to go through the trouble of unlocking them first). Many cars are designed this way. Since it is a mechanical device that does this and not an electrical control, it would be prohibitively complicated to disable it when the car is moving.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 2 previous cars (2002 Mazda Protege5 and 2006 Mazda 5) both had power locks that would lock the doors inside and out. However, each door had a mechanical switch to allow for manual override. Maybe this style is more common in Japanese cars?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Why would this be a problem?

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm sure they have gone the European way with the whole range, it's so you can get out in an accident. Every car I've owned you can do this, just don't pull the handle?

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you

I have only owned GM cars and they are not that way. If the door is locked, you cannot open the door from the inside. When we talked to the service dept. they wanted it brought in and they called Ford to verify. If this is they way it is, it is different for me. Thank for the responses. My son loves his Focus.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ford have been this way ever since back in about 1995. My 1995 TAurus did the same thing. Would open doors with one pull in the front driver and passenger side. It's the way they're designed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 07 Suburban locks the doors when put in gear, and keeps them locked unless you manually override with the switch or put it back in park. It's annoying.

On the other hand, took my friend's jeep for a ride this weekend, no doors, always a good time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like the pull-two-times-if-locked (once to unlock and second to open) system more than what's on the front door in the focus.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I like the pull-two-times-if-locked (once to unlock and second to open) system more than what's on the front door in the focus.
Seems confusing to me - people grab the door handle expecting the door to open. If you don't want your kids opening the doors then it's time to use the child safety locks...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Seems confusing to me - people grab the door handle expecting the door to open. If you don't want your kids opening the doors then it's time to use the child safety locks...
People should expect that pulling on the door handle of a locked door won't open it at all.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile This is nothing new, especially in the focus. When other people sit in your car tell them to sit still and not fiddle with everything. It is a safety feature, if you need toget out of the car quickly in an accident or something, you dont want to have to be fiddling around with unlocking the doors. Also the electrical unlocking system or the battery can be damaged and then youd be shit outta luck if pulling the handles wouldnt override things. So it sounds unsafe that you can open them by moving, but theres no reason to be doing so, just like you shouldnt turn the car off going 60mph or throwing it into park. For anyone who doubts this feature, just image you crashing and your car catching fire. Your electrical system has been damaged and the doors wont unlock...not a pretty picture.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Must be a GM versus Ford thing. Every Ford I have owned you can open the door from the inside by simply pulling the release. Regardless of the status of the exterior door lock.

The only exception is when the child safety locks are enabled.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Every car i have owned whether it was GM, Ford or Chrysler would unlock when you pulled on the handle except for my 68 Barracuda and it's a real inconvenience.

Door locks are for keeping people from getting in not out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I mean no disrespect to you however, why does everyone these days feel that they need the car to protect them from doing dumb things these days like, opening the door while moving, rolling the car over, etc. personally I don't need my vehicle to lock my doors nor do I need ABS which my Focus doesn't have. My '07 has it my '03 doesn't, the '03 stops just fine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts