Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Here's another one for this dubious list.

My wife and I own a '12 Focus SEL sedan, about 63k miles on it. We found out the hard way about the broken latch-- a week-and-a-half ago my wife was coming home from work, rounded a corner, and the rear driver's side door flew open...

I took the car to our local Ford dealership, and after having to get rather snotty with the service advisor, I got Ford to cover the cost of the repair, minus our extended warranty deductible. HOWEVER, the parts won't be available until October 30th. So now I'm on the phone with Corporate, trying to get them to reimburse us for a rental car. So far, no dice. Oh, and I filed my complaint with the NHTSA, too.

Thanks Ford. I REALLY wanted to like you. Was hoping to move up to a new Fusion next spring. Now I think we'll go back to Chrysler.
Hi soddruntlestuntle,

I want to look into this further. Did you receive a case number with your call? If so, please send it to me in a private message. If not, your VIN will work as well.

Meagan,

I private messaged you the requested info last Thursday but have not heard back from you.
Hi Peterratke,

I see your message from Friday, the second. Private messages may take up to two business days for a response. I'll be getting to it today. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
9 Posts
UPDATE: So i just received a call from the "regional customer service manager" who was very nice and told me their was nothing they could or would do to help out. She agreed that is was an extreme safety issue to be driving around in a car with doors that apparently ticking time bombs and will just fly open when ever these obviously defective door parts fail. After telling me she agreed and understood what an extreme safety issue this was, she again told me their was nothing Ford was willing to do help address this issue.

After telling her this was totally unacceptable and that i would being filing complaints and spreader the word anyway i could, She told me to "do whatever i felt like i needed to do". Ok, thats what i will do... UNBELIEVABLE.

My disappointment and quite frankly, shock in the game of roulette Ford seems to want to play with peoples lives borders on criminal behavior. I am disgusted.
This sounds like my experience: sorry but our hands are tied. Of course, I was fortunate to have an extended warranty that mitigated the repair cost. On the one hand I can see Ford's position in this. They may see the problem as an isolated issue and don't want to pay for repairs that are outside of vehicle warranties -- it increases their liability. On the other hand, as we can see by this growing thread, this problem is not isolated, and is exacerbated by the fact that it involves such a basic, safety-related component. I'm also reminded by the fact that, when I was finally able to get my car repaired, the service rep mentioned that he had personally seen this repair done on five other 2012 Focus models. "Five times? And how many Ford dealerships are in the US?" I said.

It is my sincere hope that Ford's boiler plate on this matter is a temporary delay tactic and that the main reason why a recall hasn't been issued, and why they're reluctant to help wronged owners out, is because a solution is still in the works. After all, the replacement parts that I had installed in my car by my dealer are, by all indications, the same design parts as the ones that failed which means, ipso facto, the replacements will eventually fail too.

It's a shame. Repair costs of hundreds of dollars per car, whether Ford covers them or not, are going to cost the company tens of thousands of dollars per car in future revenue lost among people with these experiences who aren't going to buy another Ford. And let's not forget the costs involved in a potential lawsuit should someone, God forbid, come to harm as a result of these latch failures.

How much did those faulty ignition switches cost GM again?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Everytime I turn a corner, I fear that a door will swing open. Even after the repair, the thought is unsettling. This is much worse than the transmission issue. My friend who has a 2012 SEL sedan who received revision F after I did is noticing the same, if not worse problems. I think because I use WOT in "S" to sometimes merge onto the highway, it must keep my transmission in check. As it's nowhere near as bad as his. He does have about 10k more miles, but got is new clutches and seals after me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everytime I turn a corner, I fear that a door will swing open. Even after the repair, the thought is unsettling. This is much worse than the transmission issue. My friend who has a 2012 SEL sedan who received revision F after I did is noticing the same, if not worse problems. I think because I use WOT in "S" to sometimes merge onto the highway, it must keep my transmission in check. As it's nowhere near as bad as his. He does have about 10k more miles, but got is new clutches and seals after me.
The DCT and the trouble many have had with it sometimes makes me wonder if there were inconsistencies at the time of assembly or the transmission can be more problematic if it isn't broken in just right with variables like climate, driving style, fully-automatic versus select-shift, etc., because I think I've had fairly good luck with my transmission. I've had the low-speed shuddering like anyone, but it wouldn't happen all the time and I'd say it's never been severe enough to pursue these revised components that have been coming out. In fact, one good thing to come out of my door latch debacle is that the dealership reprogrammed the TCM again while I was over there. They had reprogrammed the transmission before years ago, and it smoothed out the shifting and mitigated the low-speed shudder a little bit, but this latest software update has actually made the transmission the smoothest it's ever been. It's sort of amazing, really, that a change a software can have such an effect with no change in parts. The low-speed shudder is virtually gone and the feel of the transmission's overall operation is the closest to a conventional automatic that it's ever been. An interesting side effect of the update, however, is that the transmission seems to down-shift a little sooner when you're coasting. Not a negative, per se, but just different.

As half-baked as the dual-clutch transmission was when it came out, Ford has at least offered software and component updates and extended warranty coverage. The door latch issue has received no such attention, and that's scary. I feel this issue is still an emerging problem and that Ford doesn't yet have a reliable fix, but the inherent threat to safety that this issue poses is far worse than any transmission glitch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please continue to file complaints with NHTSA if you're having this door latch issue with 2012 Ford Focus.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

The latest news I've found is a preliminary investigation letter sent to Ford http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM499244/INIM-PE16001-63167.pdf

Anyone had luck getting Ford to take care of this voluntarily? I need my car working/safe but trying not to front the cost of a recallable item. Currently driver side latch has failed and it's parked in my garage. [:)]

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
JUST filed my complaint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Marbs!

Also filed a complaint with FTC 877-382-4357 and sent the following email to my regional service rep. I'm going to give him a few hours to respond then I'll post his name/contact info.

-------------------------------

Jon,

Knowing that this isn't personal and your hands may be tied since Ford is refusing to take responsibility, I wanted to give
you a heads up. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and Federal Trade Commission and will be pursuing other
actions. Since you are my best contact to Ford at this time, I have provided your name and contact info in these reports
so you will be contacted.

I will also be posting your contact information on social media sites and discussion forums as a POC for those having
this issue as well as encouraging everyone to file with the NHTSA & FTC. Let me know if you have a more appropriate
POC with the power to take action that I should list as well.

Jody

Related references:
NHTSA Investigation -http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults;jsessionid=Lb1tXbvWnrkyVFpQJL0LLS5m7jhM2L0dPkS643LWG1S72rD8Mf9B!1295816867?prodType=V&searchType=PROD&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=FOCUS&stats=1173770%2C3%2C1%2C1443%2C58%2CFOCUS&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffolders%2F&searchCriteria.model_yr=2012&searchCriteria.make=FORD&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1173770
NHTSA ODI Resume PE 16-001 - http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM495779/INOA-PE16001-1662.PDF
NHTSA Letter to Ford - http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM499244/INIM-PE16001-63167.pdf

I have seen no response posted publicly from Ford at this time.
Receive no offers of financial assistance from the local Cutter Ford dealer or the dealer where I purchased the vehicle
and "VIP" lifetime membership.

----------------------------------

41 - 51 of 51 Posts