Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, what is the easy way to remove to plastic door trim moldings near the pull handles? I've got the weird dark gray wood pattern, and wanna paint them silver; is there an easy way to do it without disassembling the whole door or just ripping them out? Thanks

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
if your talking about the cloth, it doesn't need to be removed and being glued...it would be quite a pain, just cut whatever ur using to size and fit it behind the cloth with a butter knife.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I meant the dark plastic strip (see attached photo)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Its ethier clipped on or held on by very week glue (they glue they use usually sucks)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Door Trim

That is quite a problem. You could use vinyl and trim it on the piece so you dont have to remove it. You could tape it off and paint it without removing it from the door. Lastly, you could remove it. i believe they are glued on, but I am not sure. Do a search on here. I am sure someone must have done something similar.

Anyone with the Ford repair CDs or manual? What does it say?

·
Registered
44 Posts
looks like its glued and if it is i would try to use a heat gun or blow dryer to unglue it then you can remove it, but when putting it back on glue it back on.

·
Registered
697 Posts
use a crows foot to see if its clipped or glued.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This piece is actually fused to the door panel. In order fo you to take that piece off you must remove the door panel. Look at the back of the panel where the trim piece is located and you'll notice about two or three black pins that have been melted to the plastic of the door panel. You can use a power drill and slowly drill out the the fused on area, just don't go too far or you could damage the plastic pegs. This piece should pop off once you have those pegs drilled. Paint them and let them dry for at least a day.

When it comes time for you to re-attach the trim use an adhesive that will set quickly and rock hard. I used a two part epoxy that set in about five minutes and now the only way I will be able to remove my trim pieces is with a blow torch. Don't forget to give the paint a good coat or three of clear coat, this will hlep protect the paint. [;)] [thumb]

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
That's quite an interesting trim.. gray and wood (brown) !??!

Seems like NH-ZTS knows what he's talkin about!!! Good luck with it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts