Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a focus today (2000 ZX3) How should i get this stuff off without damaging the paint (goo gone or something i assume)? And then how would i go about replacing the stripping? It is located on the rear end of the door.

And can anyone tell me the name of the color?

·
Registered
453 Posts
looks like Malibu Blue. ford doesnt put stripping on the edge of the doors. i wouldnt bother replacing it. might want to try a razor blade, your paint may have faded too soo it might look darker once you remove that stuff.

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
Those would be aftermarket dor edge gaurds. Normaly, they just hold themselves on by pressure, an should just slide on an off. It is possible the previous owner glue them on, but knowing what adhesive they used....going to be hard to tell. I would suggest waiting for a warm day (not sure what kinf of weather you get in your part of CA in the winter) and try pulling them off, gently. Starting to break down adhesives can be trickey, if there any. I'd say start with goof off, it it has no effect, move on to rubbing alcohol then laqqer thinner. If those don't work....et us know and we'll try to find something to help you clean it up.
Of course if you like the door edge gaurds, you can buy new one at most auto parts stores and the automotive section of Wal*Mart

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, I'll probably grab a hair dryer so it is easier to pull off. I'll update it later if I'm successful. Thanks! [thumb]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
try goo gone.
Yep, that's what i used! Yeah, the hair dryer made the adhesive softer and then i squirted some goo gone on top of it. Put a little credit card and a microfiber towel together and got it all off. [thumb] Thanks again guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts