Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed how quickly the door sills get on their ST? I just polished mine and drove for 5 mins in the rain and when I opened the door to get out the door sill was filthy already.... I am detailed so I am anal about cleanliness but this is pissing me off. Has anyone found a solution to this or does no one really care as much as me? Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Well this has been going on for a while. I don't think there is anything you can do about it...how did your old car do? Did it happen to that car, if so what are the differences in the door seals, etc.

I like to keep my car clean as can be as well. It does seem worse on my back doors than the front.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have to agree the ST door sill is a very poor design. With zero thought given to water retention. All it would have needed was a slight tilt down. and not much of a problem. But nope.

Anyway, as is, not a lot can be done except to carry a roll of paper towels in the cabin.
Whomever designed it can't rest easy, knowing nearly every ST owner hates his guts.
If "I" knew who it was, I would send him a nasty email ... endless nasty emails..
Also the guy who approved the design.. He is just as guilty.
(Didn't these guys TEST anything? apparently not, at least not in wet conditions )

·
Registered
359 Posts
Anybody else hear that tiny violin?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this has been going on for a while. I don't think there is anything you can do about it...how did your old car do? Did it happen to that car, if so what are the differences in the door seals, etc.

I like to keep my car clean as can be as well. It does seem worse on my back doors than the front.
My 2010 focus ses is nowhere near as bad ( it's a black car compared to white) and I generally wipe down door sills. F U C K! I was thinking there was an option for thicker weather stripping or something. I know it's a Ford and you get what you pay for but this car is amazing in every aspect I can think of but the door sills are just a killer!!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to agree the ST door sill is a very poor design. With zero thought given to water retention. All it would have needed was a slight tilt down. and not much of a problem. But nope.

Anyway, as is, not a lot can be done except to carry a roll of paper towels in the cabin.
Whomever designed it can't rest easy, knowing nearly every ST owner hates his guts.
If "I" knew who it was, I would send him a nasty email ... endless nasty emails..
Also the guy who approved the design.. He is just as guilty.
(Didn't these guys TEST anything? apparently not, at least not in wet conditions )
I know, wtf happened here? Never seen it this bad on any car

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
How exactly are the ST door sills different (i.e. why are they 'ST' door sills as opposed to 'Mk3 Focus' door sills)?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

This^^^^^^^ me too,,,,

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How exactly are the ST door sills different (i.e. why are they 'ST' door sills as opposed to 'Mk3 Focus' door sills)?
Their physical design allows water further in as opposed to the mk2/3 doors which merges with dirt making the sill "ugly" and dirty very quickly. I have yet to exam the actual differences side by side ( will son happen ) to figure out the exact differences.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I have a Tuxedo Black 14 and the door jams get dirty quick, gonna have to keep that microfiber cloth close by to keep up on it. Other than that minor thing I'm loving the car!

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Because they haven't looked at any other MK3 Focus, but in reality they all do it in this weather.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Because they haven't looked at any other MK3 Focus, but in reality they all do it in this weather.
I assumed that it was the case.

What confused me is when Elizabeth (who traded in a Mk3) said "I have to agree the ST door sill is a very poor design."

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I assumed that it was the case.

What confused me is when Elizabeth (who traded in a Mk3) said "I have to agree the ST door sill is a very poor design."
Why? the door sill on the MK 3 standard edition has no problem. The ST has a big problem. It is 100% the rocker panel design. The ST is wider, and far more annoying the ST rocker panel top retains water on it..
In three years of owning the SE I NEVER ONCE had to clean off the water accumulated on the sills. On the ST. Every time it rains, or the streets are slushy, Or I wash the car. I have to clean off the flats on the sills due to accumulated water ON TOP of the add on plastic rocker panels.

Plus, as some cars reviews have mentioned. one ALWAYS get one's pant dirty from the water and crap on there in a ST. You have to carefully stretch PAST the rocker and be sure to not let your leg brush against it getting out.

Regular MK3 owners do notrealize the ST rocker panels do stick out wider than the regular Focus ones. And the problem is a lot worse.
(this is not IN the sill between where the door closes. This is only the bottom part where the rocker adds some width to the bottom.)

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Why? the door sill on the MK 3 standard edition has no problem. The ST has a big problem. It is 100% the rocker panel design. The ST is wider, and far more annoying the ST rocker panel top retains water on it..
In three years of owning the SE I NEVER ONCE had to clean off the water accumulated on the sills. On the ST. Every time it rains, or the streets are slushy, Or I wash the car. I have to clean off the flats on the sills due to accumulated water ON TOP of the add on plastic rocker panels.

Plus, as some cars reviews have mentioned. one ALWAYS get one's pant dirty from the water and crap on there in a ST. You have to carefully stretch PAST the rocker and be sure to not let your leg brush against it getting out.

Regular MK3 owners do notrealize the ST rocker panels do stick out wider than the regular Focus ones. And the problem is a lot worse.
(this is not IN the sill between where the door closes. This is only the bottom part where the rocker adds some width to the bottom.)
The top of the sill is identical as the door is identical and still accumulates snow and salt just the same on the SE as it does the ST. The skirts are lower not wider at the top/ mounting faces.

SE door sill

ST door sill

And even with the wider skirts the car gets dirty at the same rate. You may have trouble getting past the skirt sticking out wider down low, but that's not the car's fault.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I will restate: When I had a MK3 SE. with 'ordinary' rockers, I never had any noticeable problem with water or dirt accumulating on the tops of the rocker panels. Over three years of ownership.
With the ST, and in only two months I am constantly having to clean off the same areas, and finding water and dirt accumulating on that area.

And again, if Ford had just made the top surface even slightly tilted away then this would not be happening. Total over sight. I cannot imagine any reason they felt compelled to keep them flat.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I disagree with Elizabeth on this, as both of my N/A MK3 models have had the same issue with build up on top of the door sill as my MK3 ST.

I've also seen water puddling on the sills just out side of the door seals on all of them, not all the time, but enough to say it's just the way it's designed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know how the ST compares to other models within the family, but the door sills get very dirty, very quickly. It's also common after washing or rain to open a door and have water pour out. The same on the 13 and 14. Another item related to getting dirty is how the rear of the car, below the glass, dirties up significantly before the rest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts