Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question...i thought i saw a thread on here a bit ago about the side moldings and it gave the part number for the SVT ones from FORD. if anyone knows the part number or can find the thread please help me out. thanks.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I think someone mention getting the SVTF side molding but I don't think anyone posted any part numbers. I think most of us are now waiting for twofocused to post his instructions on how to prime and paint the moldings while they are on the car. Others have just taken their car to a body shop and had them paint them.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gotcha gotcha. how do the side moldings stay on? stickie? some sorta clips? just curious

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I believe sticky tape and there are some clips which attach to the car.
Twofocused figured out a method to paint the moldings while they are on the car using color match paint.
No need to take them off or go to the body shop. He's supposed to post the instructions sometime in the future.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thankya thankya. much help

·
Registered
525 Posts
As of this moment my moldings are stock plastic and full of wax. But tonight I will be removing the wax and painting them black to match my car. I'll be taking pictures of the process (before, during, & after) and will let everyone know how they turn out by the end of the weekend.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds good. thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yeah the guy in the pics is my buddy...that garage is the paint shop that he works in...kinda lucky that he works there, cause we had all the supplies and everything available to us...Total cost for the job -->

$1.05 for erasers
$7.49 for 12 beers
$4.00 for burrito

Not too bad...and it took 4 hours total

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Geez, where where you when I wanted my side moldings painted? Very nice job!

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
looks nice, but that is pretty poor lighting in the pics.

how well do your newly painted moldings match the car in other lighting situations?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nice, did you do any prep work before painting? In the pic they look pretty smooth. Not to be critical, but how come you didnt shoot the mirrors at the same time?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow. nice job.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have put together a site showing the steps i took to paint them...maybe they will be hellpful for others. And for all of you who keep asking why i didn't paint the mirrors, its because i'm getting rid of them soon. They are too big and ugly. but here is the link...Let me know what you guys think of the site. I will be making a similar page on painting the stock wheels, since i did that too this weekend.

www.students.uiuc.edu/~wkridner/moldings.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts