Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've recently started some body work on my baby. I pulled the passenger side door moulding so I could patch up some damage.

Now I can't tell if I want to fill the holes and leave it off or if I should put it back...

I've seen a couple of you without them...

I'm not afraid to pull the rest just not sure if it looks right.

Thoughts? Pictures?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Here's one I remember doing it fairly recently:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/ford-focus-builds-general-showroom/387410-my-unplanned-build-repair-zx3.html

Starting at post 45 in the thread.

Can't remember the thread for the U.K. guy who did a nice job (green ZX3), if it pops to mind I'll look for that link.

They look nice all cleaned up as that one did (cleaned it up alll around). Biggest PITA would be doing it pretty & getting that first ding.... Moldings do help in the dang parking lots.

Door messed up enough, might actually be easier to fix it smooth - but then the other side needs work to match.

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sailor that thread helped a lot man. I just can't seem to like or dislike either option. Lol.

The one I had to pull of needs sanded down and painted or something. It took damage whenever it was hit...

But I'm not opposed to fixing either option.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
If you are working on the other side anyways, I'd say do it for sure. That door looked like it might be a chore to get the details clean at the molding depression, smoothing it all saves a lot of fine work.

If your project was to ONLY do that door, then return to stock. Otherwise I say do it all & make it special with the sleek sides.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The soon to be mine (buying it today) 05 ZX3 has the driver door mouding missing. As best I can tell, it is just glued on. Was this a change done on the 05s?

I am going to try to just remove all the adhesive. If it looks good, I may do the same to the other side.

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. I haven't had time to finish mine. Looks funny as it stands. But I hear you just kinda get lucky on whether there are holes or not.

Little bit of too gone should help get the sticky off. Or some sticker remover from goof off. Just make sure to wash and wax after.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
I prefer the moldings as they go w/ the body lines vs w/o. I've put many moldings back on after being painted,,,,,,

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't decided still.

I can put mine back on but the one side is messed up -- it was clearly hit at put back on at some point too. I'd have to sand it out and probably paint it too.

Since I'm going flat -- I may just leave them off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts