Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 SVT focus, and i was wondering about door molding holes, because i plan to buy some used doors and they are all asking if my car has door molding holes or not, and i would like to figure out if my car does or not

·
Registered
872 Posts
I went to the wreckers not long after I bought my '05 to find body side mouldings for it (a particularly optioned SE that didn't have body side moulding and which explains why you are being asked about it) and I remember that all the cars in the wreckers (at that time they would have been all pre '04 cars) had locating holes in the body panels for the side mouldings. This included the two cars that I pulled the mouldings off of. I'm pretty sure that your '02 has the locating holes, and the locating pins/nubs at/near the ends of the body side mouldings. I just snipped these pins/nubs off and installed the mouldings on my '05.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm reasonably sure that your car will have the locating holes for the mouldings. Not having the holes in any replacement panels doesn't prevent the installation of the mouldings. Because of the "flattened" surface area where the mouldings are mounted on the Focus it's easy to locate them correctly by "eyeballing" them. As whynotthinkwhynot stated the actual retention is accomplished with double sided self-adhesive tape (about a half-inch wide strip......top and bottom). I reused the tape (all the tape stuck to the old mouldings when I pulled them off the wrecked cars) and the tape was still viable enough to use to locate/position the mouldings, and then on final installation I used a few dabs of RTV to ensure that they wouldn't go anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts