Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently bought a 07 ford focus. The previous owner had replaced the whole door handle after it broke one cold morning. So the key doesn't work in it. The manual lock (which is all it has) worked for a couple times. Then all of the sudden the lock wouldn't release. It keeps on going back into the locked position. Then the handle on the outside seems to not be connected, because it isn't engaging at all. So the question is: is this a easy process for someone not very versed in fixing doors or really cars in general? Or would I be best off taking it to a shop? What kind of a shop would I take it to? Body shop or just a mechanic shop?

Thanks for the help馃憤馃憤

Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
A body shop or mechanic shop should be able to work on that. You might be able to fix it yourself...just takes a few tools and patience to get it apart.

Registered
You likely have seized the latch assembly up by triggering both lock and unlock at the same time. These latches can do that when you accidentally palm the inside door lock tab to 'lock' while unlocking the door at same time. The latch then seizes up. Happens all the time. The way to tell is if you can push on the lock tab and instead of a click on or off that you can feel, the tab is springy and pushes back when you try to work it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
You likely have seized the latch assembly up by triggering both lock and unlock at the same time. These latches can do that when you accidentally palm the inside door lock tab to 'lock' while unlocking the door at same time. The latch then seizes up. Happens all the time. The way to tell is if you can push on the lock tab and instead of a click on or off that you can feel, the tab is springy and pushes back when you try to work it.
That definitely describes what is going on. Is there a way to fix this without taking it to a shop? I have looked and I don't really see how to get to everything in there. Would I be best going to a shop?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Door comes apart to fix it.
Okay so I got a little farther finally got the trim piece off. Door is still stuck shut. Last I had used it it was locked. Been trying on the cable detached from the handle assembly but it only goes so far in. Any other thoughts?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Also the handle on the outside seems to be free moving. Like it isn't attached or is trying to move anything. This part of the handle was recently replaced too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Also the cable doesn't reside butted up against white retainer for the handle assembly. It sticks out maybe half an inch. Is there supposed to be any exposed cable or no?

Registered
If the cable is seized up down at the latch then you must work the inner cable back into the housing using force to loosen the seizup to come loose. At that time the door will begin to work correctly if that is the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts