Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I remember one other person posting a picture of this - can't find the darn thread, though!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Hmm. I've been here a while and haven't seen anyone post anything about it.
A little scary when you see cracks in something that shouldn't be cracked lol.

·
Focus Addict
14,131 Posts
Of course only the outer casing/ coating appears to have cracked, although that would still be disconcerting to be sure.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
Well, my theory about a hot, dry environment causing this (from the other thread) doesn't apply I guess since novus lives in central PA.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
My driver's side is cracked, but not separated. Meh.

Btw, this car has never been south of Champaign, IL - so I don't think it's dry environment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dig an old thread! Door striker is a *pre-recall item.

I've got an auto. trans. 2013 Focus Hatch Titanium, both drivers side and passenger side have these stress cracks. I took mine to Autonation Ford in Houston Texas on 145 Gulf Freeway(good customer service if you can stomach a 30min hold time, very very poor return time on any mechanical or body repair) after keeping my vehicle for 4 weeks they say that it is not possible to order these at this time and that the door striker is actually a pre-recall item. Now that I've alerted the dealer they will contact me once the striker becomes available.

It was an end of warranty checkup, "not eligible for a loaner vehicle, looks like you didn't pay extra when I purchased the warranty."
Day 1. I deliver the vehicle
Day 10. bump steer & continuous un-even wear on tires: I've had it aligned the day before I brought it in and it's on point. However, Autonation refused to look at suspension unless I pay for alignment.
-after much complaint at Day25 they agree to put it on a lift and take a look but I've got to bring it back when they are have time.. or sit and wait 4-5 hours,"shouldn't take more than 4 hours," he says.
Day 13. transmission shudder: installed latest OS today -now it hesitates to accelerate, severe jerky shifting especially at slow speeds, sometimes hangs in a gear that is too high for a few seconds before it down shifts
Day 20. overheating issue sitting in traffic: could not diagnose, they changed the water pump
Day 29. door strikers: deemed pre-recall, will call once item becomes available.
Day 30. removed vehicle -i've got a rain check on the lift inspection but I may just take it to NTB.

Sorry about the rant..don't mean to hi-jack the thread. I've just received the car back, it's shifting so poorly now, I know I've got to take it back. :Frustrated:

Snippit from NHTSA.gov

If I pay for needed repairs before a recall is ordered, am I entitled to reimbursement?

Yes, under certain conditions. Manufacturers are required to provide reimbursement for certain costs incurred by owners to remedy safety defect conditions prior to a recall. Vehicle manufacturers are required to reimburse owners for costs incurred to remedy a defect based on either (1) the date NHTSA opens its Engineering Analysis, or (2) one year prior to the manufacturer’s notification of a defect to NHTSA, whichever is earlier. The closing date of eligibility for reimbursement of repair of a motor vehicle is 10 days after the manufacturer mails the last of the owner notices informing owners of a safety defect recall and cost-free remedy. For replacement of equipment, the closing date is either the same as for motor vehicles or 30 days after the manufacturer’s closing of its efforts to provide public notice of the existence of a defect, whichever is later. Documentation of the costs is required for reimbursement. While the current reimbursement policy is a relatively new requirement, manufacturers have in the past often voluntarily agreed to absorb such costs, provided customers could prove the pre-recall repairs remedied the defect in question.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Plastic sleeve over a metal arm. Both mine have been cracked for quite some time. Let it ride.

·
Focus Addict
14,131 Posts
I've got an auto. trans. 2013 Focus Hatch Titanium, both drivers side and passenger side have these stress cracks.
There's a recall on the door latches, that's pending parts availability, not on the door checks. Not sure where they heard anything about a pre-recall for a cracked plastic sheath around the metal door check.

One is a potential safety issue, the other just looks poor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I happened to glance down while I had my door open, and I see this. Anyone else have this issue?

Yep, all 4 of mine are cracked just like yours. 2013 Florida car lives outside all year - probably heat related. I am concerned it might cause something to jam, but so far it hasn't had any effect. I think the spring loaded cam which provides the various 'notches' to hold the door at particular positions rides up in that groove in the plastic. I plan to discuss with my dealer when it goes in for the door latch recall.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just bought my 2015 SE hatch, and both my driver's side stays/keeps/whatever-you-want-to-call-them are already cracked like this, and the front passenger's side is cracked but not separated (yet). Doors seem to function normally, and I agree the cracked part only seems to be some kind of coating, probably more for keeping the metal core from rusting than anything. Might not be a bad idea to slather some grease on the cracked part for that reason...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts