Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what wires go where (or do what) on the doors interior connector for the passenger and driver sides?
thanks for any help

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Hey Stitch,

From the other thread (yesterday) here is the wire diagram you need. Info you need is likely spread across 2 or 3 different diagrams within the book.

...and a wire diagram to find out if your car is pre-wired or not. HERE is the wire diagram.
If anything in particular is not found or is difficult to figure out, just ask for help (me and others here can help you).

Cheers!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Marde, do you know where in this pdf id look for that connector to the doors? sorry I'm asking so much i just don't know how to find it..... thanks

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Like I said earlier; you will need to hit a few diagrams to find all the info you need. There is not a "show me all wires at this plug" way of doing it. I will post back in a couple minutes with additional info.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Go to 501-11-00
This has info on Power Windows. Then do a search (Ctrl-F) for C488. This will bounce you thru the whole document and it stops each time Search finds occurrences of C488.

C488 is one of the plugs at the drivers side door.

Wire info example -> 2.5 GN/BU
2.5 = size of wire gauge (in metric not AWG)
GN/BU = wire color is Green and it has a Blue stripe

metric to awg conversion
http://www.triodedick.com/pdf_files_td/AWG_toMetric_Conversion_Chart.pdf

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so using the pdf you sent me and the diagram on auto zone website does this sound accurate?

Driver side =

ye/vt, wh/gn, bu/ye are for the mirrors
bk/rd, bk/ye door lock switch
gy/bk, wh/bk speakers
bk/og, bk/gn, wh/bk are door lock units
ye/vt, gn/bu, wh/vt master window switch

which leave a go/ye that lead to a junction box and
which leaves a ye/bk that splits to the passenger side and junction box

Passenger side=

wh/gn, bu/ye, ye/vt are mirrors
bk/ye, bk/rd lock switch
gy/rd, wh/rd speakers
wh/bk, bk/og, bk/gn door lock unit
ye/vt, wh/vt, gn/wh window switch

which leaves a ye/bk that splits to the drivers side and a junction box

does this sound correct?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Please forgive me, but I am too lazy and/or too busy to fact-check all the wiring pin-outs + wire colors for each connection. Just use a multimeter, the diagrams, and The Force and all will turn out fine.

If you have a particular sticky spot or question I will review the diagrams and help.

So, have you found out if your car is pre-wired for power windows/locks yet?

Cheers!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no i don't think it was.... if it was then i should be able to just plug the oem doors harness into the car and viola.... right? i installed the doors wires, locks and window motors plus the oem harness the goes with it so if the car was pre-wired then just plug and play right?

plus mine only has two wires that go to that connector to the door lol and that was for the speakers

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so i guess my question is now that the doors are done to OEM powered windows/locks and mirrors what else do i need parts wise? and/or whats my next step?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
no i don't think it was.... if it was then i should be able to just plug the oem doors harness into the car and viola.... right?
Right.

But it could be partially pre-wired? (wishful thinking) Can't be sure till you dig around some. BTW I have PW and PDL and Power Side Mirrors and my drivers side door has TWO connectors; do you have two or one?

Part wise?
Not sure.
Fuses should already be there.
Some new wire + wire in different gauges?
A soldering gun?
Flux?
Heat shrink?
Splices?

Next Step?
Not sure.
Learn how to remove contact pins from the door connector Jack-Side.
Expose the area/wiring at Drivers side left foot.
Pull out Dashboard (yuk! no!) or decide on route of new wires; maybe just above the gas/brake pedals then over and behind glove box.
Beer?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have one connector but I also just got the door to door harness from a car that had the power everything so if I use that harness then I could just match the colors of the wire to what's already in my car right? And everything should work fine?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Sounds like having only one connector is not a problem.

"matching up" the wires using the wire color code scheme should work-out OK but I would also be doing some continuity tests. However, you seem to be forgetting that if your car is not pre-wired for PW/PDL then you have NO WIRES inside the car to match-up with.

Last month I replaced all the wiring inside my liftgate umbilical rubber boot. There is now a 3 foot section in my car where all those fancy color-coded wires are gone. All of those wires (in that 3-foot section) are now Green or Black... This is how your car might look after your done-> inside the doors are (OEM) color coded wires; but inside the car interior, the wire colors are whatever you buy and install.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I mean match the colors to the other stuff that I do have in the car that is part of the door to door harness not necessarily the power wire stuff cause if I switch the harnesses I'll be missing connecting wires to the mechanical stuff so I can just and splice them?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I mean match the colors to the other stuff that I do have in the car
An assumption, but safe enough. Either way, everything should get rung-out (continuity tested) when you finish each or all the new connections/splices.

Not sure about what you said in the other part of ur post. You got this, now go tear it up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok guys i have a question can any one help me i think these go to the central locking module from a 2000 (which is where i got my extra harness) if so is it possible to color match the wires to my 2002? are all the color wire used in the focus thru the 2000-2002 used for the same things? could i just splice this into my central locking module? (which is different from the one in the 2000)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
is it possible to color match the wires to my 2002? are all the color wire used in the focus thru the 2000-2002 used for the same things?
I don't know. Between the years, some things change while others remain the same. You seem to be hung-up on "color matching wires" while I am hung-up on using wire colors only as a guide -and then - using a wire diagram and a multimeter to verify your wiring it up correctly.

I guess "central locking module" = GEM ?? The GEM is the door locking controller on my car and it seems like the same thing is true in the 2002 models.

If your car is not pre-wired for PW/PDL you should be adding many wires into several connectors (such as C101 thru C105 -all shaped the same) at the GEM.

Pic of GEM connector C102:

Ref pic above: C102 Pin-16 is a wire that goes to the power door lock (drivers side) and the wire is labeled "31S-AA64 (BK/GN)"
Now go to wire diagram page 501-14-00 (-2) and find the same wire.

Edit: Disconnect C102 and see if there is a BK/GN wire installed into socket/pin 16. If yes, celebrate, your job just got easier.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok so wait c102.....c103......c104.....and c105 are the names of the connectors? cause i have 5 connectors in my gem so with your diagram how can tell which connector is which?so i can do this better

1 - 20 of 22 Posts